12

Auntie almost said no after she heard that I would want to stay on the farm for a week. I almost had to beg her, but only if Uncle didn't help persuade her. 

"Pa'no ka r'on? Walang mag-pi-prepare ng food mo. Wala kami. Naku baka hindi matuwa ang mama mo." Auntie sighed as she watched me fold my clothes and put it in a duffle bag that I borrowed from her.

"It's just a week, auntie. I would be fine." I smiled a little to assure her.

It was yesterday when I brought it up with uncle. He immediately said it's fine and didn't ask further why I suddenly suggested that. One thing about him is that he won't question anything about what you want to do, kung sa tingin niya naman ay hindi masama. He agreed, and he even called the farm about it to inform them. 

"Bakit naman gusto mo r'on? Ayaw mo na ba dito? Nagtatampo ka ba?" She asked again, then began helping me with the clothes.

I chuckled and shook my head. She's so dramatic. "No, auntie. I just... need to breathe."

Tumingin siya sa akin, nanliliit ang mga mata na parang sinusuri ang sinabi ko. "Hindi ka ba makahinga rito? Masyado ba kaming mahigpit?"

I cracked a laugh and shook my head, then zippered the duffle bag. I pulled down the sleeve of the sweater I was wearing to cover up the mark on my wrists. "Nadi suggested this. I've told her about the farm."

It was true. She called last night and was curious about the images I sent her following our last call. My snapshots from the farm. She was overjoyed with how beautiful everything was here and even expressed a desire to come back herself. I was glad she liked it, and she suggested this. Gusto niya pa na mag-send ako ng pictures.

"Si Nadia?"

"Opo. I showed her the pictures from last time. She wanted more."

Unti-unting tumango si auntie. "Gan'on ba? O s'ya. Sana sinabi mo agad! Nag-overthink tuloy ako. Sabi pa ng uncle mo oa ako." Tumawa siya. Natawa rin ako. That seem like something uncle would say.

She helped me finish preparing my things. After that, she had manang prepare some side dishes na dadalhin ko r'on sa farm. Sabi ko kahit 'wag na, but Auntie insisted. I also found out that twice a week lang nagpupunta 'yung caretaker d'un, si manang Doris, para mag-linis sa bungalow house kung s'an kami nag-stay last time. Kaya pala against si Auntie n'ong una kasi walang mag-aasikaso sa'kin. I kept on assuring her that I would be fine on my own. 

"Aino, and'yan si Jere. Kakausapin ka raw." I heard uncle said from the living room. We're in the kitchen, I'm helping manang and auntie put the side dishes in containers.

"Saglit lang po." I wiped my hands, not taking off the apron I'm wearing, and went out to the living room to see him. When my uncle saw me, he gave me a nod and went to the kitchen. 

"Hey." I hid my hands in the pocket of my apron. 

He turned to me. He smiled, but I could sense that something was wrong. It's the look in his eyes. It's like he wants to tell me something but contemplates it.

"Hi. Kumusta? Paalis ka raw?"

I nodded a little, waiting for him to spill what's on his mind.

"D'un ka mag-i-stay?" He asked again, avoiding what I wanted to hear.

"Yes. You've got something to say?" Dinirekta ko na.

He cast his look away and pursed his lips in a straight line. Namumungay ang mata niya. It's as if he hadn't slept for days. He appeared restless. I knew because I was going through it at the same time. Every damn time. He sighed before turning to face me. I was correct. His eyes are tired.