Four: Fish On A Hook

Wrapping your robe around your body you make quick haste to leave the room while feeling his never-wavering, terrifyingly intense stare.

Leaving that room felt like putting a target over your head, and your king was the archer.

Scurrying through the halls you ignored the stares of maidens and lingering concubines alike, you never really understood the difference between maids and concubines when he fucked you all the same.

Dashing down the halls you make a sharp right and walk even faster until you push through the sliding doors and drop your robe on the tatami flooring, allowing the warm spring air to flood in through the sliding glass doors on the opposite side of the room.

Taking swift steps to the oversized bed you ring the bell that hangs down from a cherry blossom-themed banner calling for your maid; Ayano.

Sitting down on the plush ottoman you await for the maid to accommodate you.

Knock Knock
"Come in, Ayano."
"You called for me, my lady?"
"Please fetch me a kimono" you slouch your back, letting all the stress roll off you in waves.
"Of course, my lady"

Awkward silence settles in with you two before her nosiness takes over.
"My lady, I hate to intrude, and do pardon me if I'm overstepping here but, what exactly happened? His lordship never calls for you."

"What happened? That damned bastard put a target on me, that's what he did."
"Could you elaborate?"
"I'd rather not, I don't need a maid or concubine pressuring you into blabbing."
"Right, of course, my lady."

She follows your orders by dressing you in a lavender-colored kimono, followed by an amethyst and gold hairpin.

"Would you like anything else, my lady?"
"Bring me some onigiri and chamomile tea would you?"
"Of course."

You watch as her pale figure scurries out of the room and can't help but wonder if she's either going to run her mouth, join in on gossip, or get harassed into spilling what you had told her. Either way, you know better than to spare her any details.

The rest of the night is spent uneasy and on edge, living in fear that he might randomly call you to have you executed. Something is wrong and you can sense it.

He was too calm for your back-talking.
He was too calm for a lot of your shit.
Running away.
Lying.
Back-talking.
Challenging him.

Something will come for you, some sort of debt, some sort of karma.

Until then, you lay in fear in the discomfort of your bed chamber.
Awaiting your king's next move.