1.

The sheets enveloped me as I turned in bed. The cozy fabric of the duvet gently lulled me back to sleep for a few moments. Eventually, summoning all my strength, I pulled myself out of the inviting sheets and onto the plush carpeted floor.

My feet glided over the carpet and then met the chilly tiles of the bathroom. I blinked away the sleep from my eyes. The icy floor was a surefire way to wake me up. Removing my clothes, I stepped into the shower. My toiletries were neatly arranged, ready for me. The cascading water roused me from my slumber, like gentle kisses from the rain.

Every cent was well spent. R12,000 for a week in the top suite at Paradiso Island. Le Grande Paradiso was the premier hotel on the island, boasting the finest views, cuisine, and spas around. It was a luxury worth the price. I had saved up for nearly a year to return to Paradiso Island.

The last time I was here was for a brief business trip that lasted only three days. This time, I planned to stay longer and booked the same suite my boss had. I had always admired his suite whenever he sent me to fetch something from there.

The velvety cream-coloured carpet stretched across the spacious living area, complete with three beige couches, a television, and a small table adorned with a vase of flowers near the balcony. The kitchen area featured a large black fridge and cupboard. Near the kitchen was a sliding door leading to the bedroom.

I emerged from the shower and made my way back to the bedroom. After getting dressed, I headed to the living area where a plate of food awaited me. It must have been left while I was showering. I eagerly dug in, humming with delight as I enjoyed the eggs and toast.

That was truly the best decision made since the invention of chocolate-covered peanuts. Paradiso Island embraced me with open arms, and I reciprocated the affection wholeheartedly. The rich culture, delectable cuisine, and captivating entertainment all added to the allure. However, it was the luxurious hotel suite that truly stole my heart.

A gentle knock interrupted my reverie, prompting me to glide towards the door. As I opened it, I was greeted by the sight of the manager, Mr Pero, standing there with a timid smile. "Ah, my dear Mr. Pero! What brings you to my not-so-humble abode?" I inquired with a warm smile. "I can see that you are enjoying your stay, Ms. Ntiso." "Absolutely. The breakfast was great, and the suite is simply... divine!"

His smile grew more timid before he said, "That's good but I'm afraid I have bad news." "Oh. Go on." "A guest has requested this suite. Of course I tried to convince him to consider our other suites because the lovely Miss Ntiso is staying here," he said. "Oh. Problem solved then," I chipped in. "Not exactly. He offered to pay 120 000 prisos for the suite." What was that in rands?

"Wait here for a moment," I instructed before finding my phone and converting the offer to rands. "R15 000? Okay. Mr Pero, you know how bad I want this suite. Money... isn't that big of an issue. R20 000!" I retaliated. His eyebrows furrowed. I converted that back to prisos. "160 000 prisos."
He nodded. "That's settled then. Toodles," I said. A relieved smile spread across his face before he left.

Imagine? Whoever that man was he was not going to get my suite. I worked hard and didn't indulge in chocolate and good food for almost a year to save up for the vacation. I wouldn't let a random Joe on the road take pay his way into my dream.

Much to my demise, Mr Pero returned minutes later to tell me the gentleman had offered double my price. Gentleman? There was nothing gentle about bullying a lady out of her suite. That meant he was willing to pay R40 000 for my suite. He was crazy. But I was crazier. "He wants crazy? I'll show him. 300 000 prisos!" I didn't even care how much that was in rands. I'd probably go broke and not be able to afford anything else during my stay but I couldn't live with the knowledge that the obnoxious bully slept in my suite!