2.

“Suite stealer!” I accused.

The grin on his face spread like wildfire. “Why, thank you.” I felt my eyes roll involuntarily. Force of habit. “No. I didn't mean s-w-e-e-t but I meant-” “Yes. I get it. Don't explain yourself, it's quite annoying.”

The gasp left my lips. The audacity of a man who stole my suite and was attempting to steal my donut. “Kufi! He's evil. If you give him that donut I will never forgive you,” I said, turning to my old friend.

His easygoing smile brought comfort and ease to the tension. “Look, this is no big fight. You can share the donut. It's big enough for both of you,” he said. And it was true. The donut was the size of both of my fists put together. “He didn't share the suite, he stole it. So no, let me have at least one thing he won't steal.”

“I didn't steal anything. I paid-” “Yeah you did. You took it from me when I worked so hard to get it. Money must come easily to you. It's probably all you know but for some of us one week away means everything. That suite isn't just a suite. It's my blood, sweat and tears. And it was for nothing because some rich obnoxious,” I paused to find an insult, “Disgusting donut stealer took it all!”

I was breathless after releasing that mouthful. “You left your blood, sweat and tears in my suite? Disgusting. I'll just get it washed off. I'm not leaving. I don't care what you think about me but I'm not going anywhere. I also deserve a break and I always choose that suite. It's a home away from home. I wouldn't be able to sleep anywhere else so if I have to pay to get you out if my suite, I will gladly give everything I own.”

The intense stare down began before we knew it. His eyes were blazing while mine were teary. Still, I wouldn't back down.

Our stare down was broken when a little boy walked past us and greeted Kufi with excitement. The joy on his face was innocent, untouched by the world's suite stealers and donut rivals.

“Kufi! I saved all of my allowance this week to buy a donut,” he exclaimed. He saved all of his allowance and could only afford one donut?

Memories of my childhood slapped me across the face as I looked at the little boy. I could not help but see myself in him. Saving any money I could get to afford something other kids wouldn't even think twice about before buying.

I was incredibly poor growing up. My family lost everything when I was ten years old and we slept in the streets. The memory of willing my body to survive four days without a meal sharply stung my chest. But I couldn't cry in front of the man who already thought I was weak.

“Sorry kid. These two are already fighting for the last donut,” Kufi said. The boy's face fell and I could feel every emotion that passed his eyes twice as much. I had to help him.
“Have the donut, kid. You saved up for it. It's yours,” I said.

The suite stealer had to have a heart. At least for a little boy who didn't have much. I looked at him like an angry mother who had found a man stealing her chicks. His gaze softened. He looked almost… kind. I knew he wasn't but his face displayed kindness and humility.

“You're right. He deserves it more than us. And here's 50 pisos, kid,” he said. I rolled my eyes. “It's not a competition.” “I never said it was. I can't help people now?” he said. “It's not in your nature,” I replied.

The boy took the money with both hands in gratitude. “Thank you,” he said. The biggest smile known to man was on his face. Kufi gave him the donut. “I'll pay for the donut,” I offered. “Look who's making it a competition.” I ignored him.

I paid for the donut and the boy looked at me like I was heaven sent. He left after thanking us too many times.

I sighed before letting my feet guide me to the coffee shop near Kufi’s Donut Truck. I heard his treacherous footsteps near me moments later. “I'm not in the mood,”I said. “For coffee? Then get something else.” “You're not funny.” “I never claimed to be,” he said.

We ordered our coffee before I found a table to sit on. I saw his hand reach for my seat. “No! I'm sitting there,” I said. “I'm pulling the chair back for you. Where I come from, this is considered manners,” he said. “Where you come from is where I will never go and where you should be going back to hide before I bite your head off,” I said.

“I think you'd have a hard time even reaching my shoulders. And no, you'd love the place. Foreigners eat Seoul up like it's heaven.” He pulled the chair and gestured for me to sit down.

Hesitantly, I sat. He smiled before sitting on the chair across from me. “Was that difficult?” “Very.”

He studied me for a few minutes before saying,”We should take Kufi's advice.” “About what?” “Sharing.” “We gave the donut to the kid. Don't tell me you want to take it back. That's cruel,” I said. “No. We should share the suite. I know you hate me but I do have a heart.”

I could only blink. Share the suite? “I'd pay for the suite and for your meals provided by the hotel for the rest of your stay here. It's the best I can do. I can't leave the suite so bear with me. And besides, it's big enough for both of us,” he said.

“I don't even know you and I'm pretty sure that I don't like you. You think it's wise to share the suite?” I said. “You're harmless.” I wasn't.

I thought about the offer. It was good. It saved me money and it placed me in my desired suite. It just meant that I'd be sleeping in the same room as the guy who not-so-secretly wanted me dead.

“I'm sleeping on the bed and you're not,” I said. “You're stretching it. My kindness towards you can only go so far. That's my limit. You've reached it,” he said. “Fine then we'll…share,” I suggested. It sounded wrong no matter how many times I repeated it in my head.

“I know I'm handsome and you probably want me in your bed but no. I'm a gentleman. Sleep on the couch,” he said. I scoffed. “You're not my type. Not even close. And that bed can fit four people. If you stay on your side and I stay on mine, I can avoid any rabies you carry.”

“Avoid the insults. My tolerance is thin,” he said. “Your arrogance is thick.” I had to remember that he was being kind to me by offering to share the suite and still pay for everything. But I couldn't bring myself to not insult him. It was second nature to me.

Our coffee orders were announced and I got up. “I'll get yours for you,” I offered timidly. My attempt at kindness was burning my chest. I wanted nothing more but to see him gone. But I had to be nice.

I came back with his coffee and mine. He took it from me, our hands brushing past each other briefly but enough for me to notice my breath getting caught in my throat. His gaze slammed into mine as he registered the feeling passing between us. We had somehow gotten lost in the midst of tension and passion that our bodies mistook it for attraction.

The man was handsome. His chiselled jaw, black hair, dark eyes and plush lips added to his allure. And he smelled good. Really good. I had noticed in the heat of our race to Kufi's Donut Truck that he smelled good. But I didn't care then because all that mattered was the donut.

He cleared his throat which pulled me out of the trance. “Thank you,” he said. I could only manage a nod.

“Look at us being civil over a coffee truce,” he said. “Yes, cheers,” I said, clinking my coffee mug with his. We drank our coffee in silence.

One could only hope I'd survive sharing the suite with him for the rest of the week.

Lord, help

Author's Note

Thank you for coming back. I hope you enjoyed that. See you in Chapter Three. Don't forget to comment, share and vote.