Chapter 32

Wei Wuxian and Xue Yang journeyed on foot toward Qishan, a grueling trek that tested their endurance. They walked for long stretches. Xue Yang was exceptionally talkative, sharing stories about his time in the Jin Sect. He recounted how he had grown up in a nearby village, orphaned and living off scraps, much like Wei Wuxian had. As a teenager, he joined the Jin Sect as a junior disciple.

"I was one of the best, a hardworking disciple," Xue Yang said, his face lighting up with a radiant smile. "I would wake up early in the morning and train hard. I wanted to be the Sect Leader's right-hand man. If he could rise from nothing to that position, maybe I could too. I worked hard." His smile faded, replaced by a shadow of sadness. "But the Sect Leader, Jin Guangyao," he continued, his voice tinged with repulsion, "is a monster."

"I advanced quickly in rank, and eventually, he took notice of me. He started assigning me specific tasks—delivering messages, guarding important locations, being part of his escort during travels. Then he began asking me to undertake secret missions." Xue Yang sighed heavily. "Of course, I never refused a job, especially one from the Sect Leader. I eagerly accepted them all. Then... he took me down to the dungeons and revealed his secret. He had the last two remaining Wens in captivity." His hands shook as he spoke, his voice quivering. Wei Wuxian reached out, placing a comforting hand on Xue Yang's, squeezing it gently.

"The way he tortured them still haunts me to this day," Xue Yang said, his eyes filled with a mixture of horror and guilt. "I can still hear their screams."

He abruptly stood up from the small campsite they had made along the road. The fire crackled, cooking the fish they had caught in a nearby river. Xue Yang walked away, and Wei Wuxian heard the sound of him retching, the meager food he had eaten coming back up. The trauma of his past was clearly still fresh and raw, a stark reminder of the darkness they were up against.

Wei Wuxian quickly got up and placed a comforting hand on Xue Yang's back, soothing him as he let out the last remaining contents of his stomach. He handed Xue Yang the water satchel and helped him drink, offering silent support. Xue Yang looked up at Wei Wuxian, a soft, grateful smile forming on his lips.

"I grew up hating you, just like everyone else," Xue Yang began, his voice tinged with regret. "The stories that spread after the war ended were like wildfire. 'The Master of Demonic Cultivation lost control and killed so many!' they said." He sighed deeply, the weight of his words hanging in the air.

"I was part of the night shift assigned to watch over the Wens, and sometimes Mo Xuanyu. The other guard usually fell asleep, but I stayed awake through it all. I wanted those Wens to suffer. I believed every story, every lie." He paused, his expression darkening as memories flooded back. "But then, after a particularly brutal night of torture from Su She and Jin Zixuan, I had to go in and clean up the mess they made with Wen Qing. I have no idea how she didn't die that night."

Wei Wuxian's grip tightened slightly on Xue Yang's shoulder, offering silent encouragement for him to continue.

"Every night after that, Wen Qing began to talk to me, slowly at first. Despite everything, she showed a strength and kindness that I couldn't ignore. Over time, I realized I was on the wrong side. Her words, her resilience... they made me see the truth. The real monster wasn't you, Wei Wuxian. It was Jin Guangyao, and those who followed him blindly."

The fire crackled between them, casting flickering shadows on their faces. Wei Wuxian felt a pang of sorrow and guilt, but also a glimmer of hope. Here was someone who had seen the darkness firsthand and had chosen to step into the light.

"Thank you for sharing that with me, for your support and your help now," Wei Wuxian said, his voice heavy with emotion. "I still don't know what happened that night or in the battle before that. I lost control of Wen Ning both times, and I couldn't stop him. It's all on me because I took that crooked path. I chose to do it. I held the weapon."