Chapter 4

"Oh my God, it's snowing! Wow, it's so pretty, look!" she sighed as she stepped out of the café, holding out her palms to catch the tiny snowflakes.

"You like it?" Minseok asked, unable to keep the contentment out of his voice.

She turned to him and gave him a questioning look.

"I mean, you like snow?" Minseok said.

"Who doesn't? Besides, it's been raining for the past month or so. Oh, how I wish we could have a white Christmas for a change."

She came up to him, and hooked her arm with Minseok's. Her warmth seemed to seep all the way through her and Minseok's thick jackets - or maybe it was just him. She makes me feel warm, he thought.

They walked at the same pace among the people, Christmas lights above their heads. Minseok didn't want this evening to end. He didn't want them to ever reach the metro station. He thought of how lucky he was. How beautiful she was. Beautiful and kind. At times he snapped out of his thoughts, each time equally surprised to still see her there.

What if she wants to come over to his place? No, she wouldn't. Minseok hoped she wouldn't. No, it would ruin everything. Stop. Don't even think about it. She is here now.

"So, uh..." she said after a long, comfortable silence. "Do you have any plans for Christmas?"

Minseok stopped and looked at her. Now his cheeks felt hot too. "Uh, no. No, not really," he replied, a flutter in the pit of his belly.

A smile was tugging at the corners of her mouth. "Well... would you like to spend it with me then, perhaps?"

"Would I?" Minseok laughed. "Of course! I mean... If you want, sure."

She laughed too.

And after that, they were able to chat comfortably, making plans and talking about Christmas presents and traditions all the way to the metro station. They stopped in front of it, looking at each other, still smiling at the last joke Minseok had made.

She took his hands then.

"Oh, you poor thing, your hands are cold!" she said, and in that moment Minseok felt his heart freezing.

This is how it always starts, he thought.

"You should wear gloves, really," she added, smiling.

"Oh, yeah! I haven't gotten used to it yet, it's been so warm lately," Minseok explained.

She looked up. "Well, looks like it's getting colder."

Minseok looked up too. Large snowflakes were falling from the sky in ruthless speed, like hail.

"Oh no... Sorry," Minseok mumbled, pulling his hands away.

She shot him a sharp glance.

Don't ask, please. I can't tell you, Minseok thought.

"I mean, you better get going. I don't want you to get cold," he said.

"Yeah, I guess... Anyway, thank you for this evening."

"You too," Minseok stammered, trying to smile bravely.

He watched her enter the metro station and turn once more to wave him goodbye. Later, Minseok tried to recall how she had looked that evening, replaying that scene over and over in his head, but he couldn't tell. He had been too ecstatic about the prospect of meeting her again, too ecstatic to even think about the possibility that that was the last time he'd see her.