Chapter 1

As the first lights of the morning rose dancing with pink and orange tones on the horizon, life was slowly waking up in the depths of the forest. While the branches of the giant trees were still carrying the drops of rain that fell throughout the night, the sunlight filtering through the leaves created small puddles that sparkled brightly on the ground. The refreshing freshness of the air was spreading around, mixing with the scent of pine trees and wet soil, integrating with the peaceful melody of nature. While the birds were chirping their first songs of the day, the sound of a distant waterfall could be heard coming from deep within the forest. Everything seemed ready for the beginning of a new adventure; nature was full of secrets waiting to be discovered.

   Sunlight began to leak into the military dormitory through the torn part of the curtain. Beams of light fell between the old wooden beds on the concrete floor, illuminating fine particles of dust.High on the ceiling, a spider web was swaying gently, the tiny water droplets inside glistening with the first light of the morning. Military blankets thrown over the beds still held the warmth they had maintained throughout the night. The only sounds that broke the silence were the distant chirping of birds and the wind filtering through the broken windows. The stove in the corner of the ward stood with the silence of leaving a cold night behind. In the other corner of the ward, faded photographs and maps hung on the walls looked like long-forgotten memories. The doors of the metal lockers were slightly opened, and inside were neatly folded uniforms and personal belongings. The deep breathing of the tired soldiers accompanied the calmness of the room. The serenity of this morning was perhaps a sign of a difficult day ahead. This calm and peaceful moment inside the ward was like a short break, unlike the harsh world outside.

    Zakharia, as an early bird as usual, woke up around 6 o'clock. Mateo waved the newspaper in his hand while sipping his coffee. 

-Have you heard?

-Did I hear what? Has there been a fire in Moscow again? 

-No, something worse happened! 

-Speak your mind so I can know! 

    Mateo chuckled to himself. Then, without even bothering to answer, he continued to stare at the page of his newspaper for a long time. Zakharia was very offended by Mateo's behavior.

 -Mateo, I didn't get my answer... 

-You know that one member of parliament... Who wears a wig because he has no hair? 

-Yes, yes, what happened to him? 

- They tried to kill the man, so what? 

   The hot steam rising from Zakharia's coffee briefly created a feeling of warmth inside the cold ward. The sharp and bitter smell of coffee mixed with the damp and stale air of the room, providing a slight freshness. The pages of the newspaper that Mateo was holding tightly in his hands were making rustling sounds with every movement, breaking the silence of the room at short intervals.

    An impatient expression appeared on Zakharia's face; His eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes were slightly squinted. His eyes lingered on the faded headline at the top of the newspaper for a moment, then shifted to the play of shadows created by the sun's rays filtering through the window. At the other end of the ward, the dusty chairs and tables in front of the windows stood motionless, indicating that they had not been used for a long time. The clock on the wall made one feel that time was passing slowly with its ticking, each second echoing in the silence of the ward. 

   As Zakharia's mind wandered around what Mateo had said, he felt lost in the chaos and uncertainty of the world outside. The branches of the pine trees just outside the window were swaying under the influence of a light wind and combined with the rustle of leaves coming from the depths of the forest.