Chapter 58

Nightmare has teleported the party].

It only took a moment for the terrain on Xiao Yi's monitor to change and he quickly deciphered which dungeon V had decided to put into the game.

Undying Lights.

Much like its name, the dungeon dealt with defeating spirits who haven't left the world yet due to whatever reason they may have. Resentment, rebellion, the need for revenge, loneliness, or being lost or nostalgic. The later ones were the least dangerous and also needed a different method to send them to the afterlife because they were much less violent during their time as a human and spirits.

Those weaker ones wouldn't be in a dungeon, but would later be added to the game during the main quest and daily tasks.

[Nightmare]: This'll be fun.

Xiao Yi tilted his camera to the side to view the other player who was standing at the gate reading about the dungeon. He approached and opened the interface. He scrolled down until he saw what he was looking for, the first dungeon with a timer since level fifty.

'The dungeon will be locked for the players for twenty-four hours if the team doesn't complete the mission in thirty minutes.'

[Sleepy]: Should I switch to a support?

He wasn't concerned about no entry for twenty-four hours as he didn't really run dungeons anymore, but that didn't mean that his new friend was the same.

[Nightmare]: Where's the fun in that?

Xiao Yi stared at the message for a second before leaning back and chuckling, his fingers just lightly tapping at the edge of the keyboard without typing anything.

A kindred spirit.

The two hit the join dungeon button and their characters automatically moved forward a few feet before music based off of ancient scripts with a soft melody began, a flute and guzheng intertwining perfectly together. In front of them, a few see-through mobs appeared on the sidelines and slowly merged toward the court.

Whilst stuck in place, the mobs turned and noticed them and the aura around them became dense with black fog as they began approaching.

The first section of the dungeon was defeating all mobs in the outer courtyard. In sync, the two assassins split between the two halves and began chopping away with the combination of their auto and main attacks without special attacks.

As they reached the last two mobs, the spirits disappeared into the mist before them and began to grow.

Sleepy and Nightmare quickly jumped away from the mass growing in the center as it solidified into a grotesque, somewhat humanoid figure with three arms on one side and one arm on the other, the other two having been clearly chopped off previously.

[Nightmare]: Do you think his weak spot is his left?

'How dare you kill my babies?'

Black smog rippled off the figure in front of them as a large sword appeared in the air, only to be caught by the boss.

[Sleepy]: I don't think it's his left, I also don't think it's his right.

The two were drawn into a cut scene they wouldn't be able to skip due to it being their first time through the dungeon, hence, they began chatting for the next minute and thirty seconds as they could still see the chat window at the bottom left of their screens.

[Nightmare]: I thought I was too old for cutscenes.

[Sleepy]: Too old?

[Nightmare]: I meant too leveled.

[Sleepy]: New caps are added every few years...

[Nightmare]: Don't remind me. Do you participate in the leveling leaderboards?

Valley of the Light had a leaderboard for their leveling events that had a general one for all players and individual classes each time they raised the cap, there would be rewards given to those who were on the list with the greatest rewards going to the top ten.

[Sleepy]: I did at one point but not anymore, you?

[Nightmare]: It depends if my team is.

[Nightmare]: Are you an alt?

Xiao Yi blinked at the forwardness but replied nonetheless.

[Sleepy]: I am, are you?

[Nightmare]: I am too. It gets a bit hectic when I play on my main so I prefer alts. Are you on a team?

[Sleepy]: I've retired.

[Nightmare]: Oh, I'm getting close to retiring too. Within the next two years.

[Sleepy]: Would your captain be okay with that?

[Nightmare]: I've informed myself and have accepted the resignation already.

[Sleepy]: I approved my resignation, too.