ᴅᴇᴊᴀ ᴠᴜ

She was the first to find the creek, and she visited it every day. Not because it was peaceful or pretty. In fact, every time she came across it, dread filled her gut as she awaited the familiar sting of failure. The brook gurgled, flowing over the rocks as it traveled through the forest. It seemed to mock her as a leaf easily floated past her, disappearing quickly down a mini waterfall. Her eyes sharpened, glaring at the water in spite.

She was told she possessed a rare ability. A water elemental destined to help those in need. However, her ability stubbornly refused to surface, even with the help of her mentor. She was twelve; she should have at least the slightest bit of control over her element by now. Shaping water should be as easy as drawing in a breath. Instead, her efforts gave her nothing but frustration and disappointment.

As she raised her hand once more, a flicker of hope sparked within her; perhaps this time would be different. But it wasn't. The water still continued along its merry way, unmoved by her attempts to control it. She groaned in frustration, kneeling down to grab a nearby rock and hurled it into the water with a small splash.

"I give up!" No satisfaction came as it peacefully sank to the bottom, the kicked-up dirt settling once more.

"I'm guessing the training's not going too well," a familiar voice chuckled from behind her. Unfazed by her friend's sudden appearance, she shot Caz an unamused glare as she flopped down onto the dirt.

"Aren't you supposed to be training?" she grumbled, strands of her hair falling in front of her face. The male shrugged, finding a spot beside her.

"Perhaps. Not like the Time and Space Lord going to notice." he teased, his dark eyes glinting. The girl rolled her eyes, gently pushing his arm in mock annoyance as her lips lifted slightly.

"You know you shouldn't call our mentor that unless you want to run until your legs fall off," she retorted, teasing him right back. Caz shuddered at the thought, stealing a quick glance over his shoulder as if expecting their mentor to materialize out of thin. She almost laughed when he relaxed when he was met with nothing but forest.

"As long as you don't tell..." he said, a playful smirk dancing across his face. She smiled, but it was noticeably strained. Of course, Caz noticed the shift, his playful expression shifting into something much softer.

"Hey, you'll get it eventually," he assured her.

"Says the prodigy," she replied, her words sharper than she intended. Her chest tightened, the ugly monster of jealousy swirling inside her. His smile faltered, dark eyes flashing as they fell to the water below. The playful banter that had filled the air moments ago dissipated, leaving behind an uneasy silence. Quickly, the monster inside her dissipated, shifting into that of guilt.

"I'm sorry,"

"I know," he replied, his smile returning, but this time lacking the carefree ease it had possessed before. There was a weight to his expression now, a burden carried by one who had grown to hate the word 'prodigy.'

Caz was a light elemental, a rarity even among our kind. His power was practically unmatched, and his potential limitless. Everyone around him always told him how lucky he was or how he was destined to become a great hero able to cast out the darkest of evils. But, even if he never told her outright, she knew he hated the attention. Hated the pressure that came from his parents. He was a prodigy, the chosen one, destined for nothing but greatness, and yet he felt trapped. Forced to play the part of a role he never wanted to play.

[Name], on the other hand, felt small compared to him. No one expected greatness from her. It was a selfish longing, born of naivety and insecurity, but sometimes she couldn't help but wish she possessed the same natural talent Caz had.