let's play pretend

this is my work for the au "you're my best friend but I need you to pretend we're a couple at an extended family get-together to piss off my super conservative relatives. (also my parents are in on the scheme which makes it even more hilarious when they tell the stories about us fucking like rabbits.) and oh wait I just realized I'm actually not so lowkey in love with you"
---
I let out the breath I had been holding, turning it into a long sigh. I don't know why I was so nervous, Zack was always up for this kind of thing so I knew he was going to say yes, it was probably just because of my own nerves. Fuck.

Finally deciding to man up, I picked up my phone and clicked on Zack's contact.

"This is Zack speaking, what can I do you for?" A voice blurred by static spoke through the phone.

"Hey dude, how have you been doing?" I answered, trying to procrastinate as heavily as possible in attempt that it would make it a lot easier for me to ask the question.

"Pretty good. Dude, you almost never call me unless you need something, so what is it?" He replied, his voice laid back though he was basically interrogating me over the phone.

"Ah yeah, about that. So you know how I have that extended family get-together thing over the weekend?" I questioned, no doubt letting him in on how nervous I was just by the tone of my voice.

"Yeah, you keep telling me how much you don't want to go, why?" He answered, small hints of concern lacing his voice.

"Well the thing is, my aunt is mad homophobic, so May brought up the idea and, will you come and pretend to be my boyfriend?" I asked, my voice weakening towards the end.

"Hell yeah, that sounds awesome. So um, what do you wear to fuck with homophobes?"He responded, a small chuckle escaping his mouth.

I sighed in relief, before giving him the low down on the plan.

~~~

Saturday morning had arrived and I found myself standing nervously outside Zack's house, messing with the pockets of my skinny jeans.

I knocked on the door three times, before taking a step back. His door swung inward, so I don't know why I did that. Nervous habit, I guess.

The door was pulled open, revealing Zack standing there while knocking me out of my thoughts.

"Let's go dude. By the way, if it gets cold, can I borrow your jacket? All mine are either dirty or Blake has chewed em up." I asked as we got into the car.

"Yeah sure, I even brought an extra one. But damn dude, you need to get your dog a trainer or something." He replied, dumping a plain black jacket into my lap.

"Yeah yeah whatever, now let's go, we need to go annoy the shit out of my relatives." I laughed, turning the music up as Zack leant back in his seat.
---
After a 20 or so minute drive, we arrive at the park that the get-together was being held at.

Zack had his eyes closed, so I punched him in the shoulder once. He punched me back harder, leaving me to swear and clutch my arm as we got out of the car.

Once we saw my mom and May, we started walking over to them.

"Finally, you two are here. I started getting nervous. Did you tell him the plan Jack?" May asked me.

"Yeah. I did. When are Aunt Grace and Uncle Thomas getting here?" I asked my mom, who was standing by the tree.

"Any minute now dear. Hi Zack, how have you been?" She questioned, hugging Zack tightly.

"I've been doing pretty good Joyce. Thanks." He replied, hugging back before walking back over by me.

"There they are! You two, hold hands or some shit." May squealed, running over to greet my aunt and uncle.