𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

The café was a cosy little place, tucked away in a quiet corner of the city

The café was a cosy little place, tucked away in a quiet corner of the city. As I entered, I scanned the room for any sign of Nikolai, but I didn't see him anywhere. I checked my phone to see if he had sent any other messages, but there was nothing.

nothing.

I walked up to the counter and ordered a drink, trying to calm my nerves as I waited for him to arrive. But as the minutes ticked by, I started to feel more and more uneasy. Where was he? Did he stand me up? Was he planning to not show up at all?

Im such a fool.

Just as I was about to give up and leave, I saw him enter the café.

My heart skipped a beat as I saw him walk towards me, his tall figure cutting a imposing figure in the small space. He looked every bit the powerful businessman that he was, his suit impeccable and his tie perfectly knotted.

My heart..?

He stopped in front of me, his gaze meeting mine for a moment before he spoke. "You're here."

I felt a shiver run down my spine at the sound of his voice. It was low and smooth, almost like a whisper, but there was something about it that made me tingle all over. "Yeah," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "You said we needed to talk."

He nodded, gesturing for me to follow him to a quiet booth in the corner. I trailed after him, feeling suddenly nervous again as I sat down across from him. The atmosphere between us was tense and charged, and I could feel the weight of his eyes on me as he studied me intently.

What are you..idiot.

"I wanted to talk to you about the wedding," he said, his tone matter-of-fact.

"Oh," I said, surprised. I had been expecting something more, more substantial than just wedding planning. "What about it?"

He leaned back in his seat, his eyes never leaving mine. "There are a few things we need to discuss," he said. "Firstly, I need you to understand that this marriage is a business arrangement. It's not about romantic love, it's about convenience and practicality."

Again with all this..but what is this...feeling?

I felt a pang in my chest at his words, but I tried to act casual. "I know that," I said, though I couldn't keep a hint of sadness from creeping into my voice. "My family explained it to me, and I understand the terms and conditions of the arrangement."

"Good," he said, his expression unreadable. "Then that's one thing we can tick off the list. But there's another matter we need to discuss."

Oh there is more..

I raised my eyebrows, curious now. "What is it?"

He leaned forward, his gaze intense as he spoke. "It's about the expectations I have for this marriage," he said. "There's a certain image we need to maintain. A level of respectability and propriety that must be upheld. I expect you to behave accordingly."

I felt a pang of irritation at his tone, but I tried to keep my voice calm. "I understand that we need to maintain a certain public persona," I said. "But what exactly are you expecting from me?"

He leaned back in his seat again, studying me intently. "I expect you to be the perfect wife," he said simply. "I want you to be demure and obedient. I want you to attend functions with me, smile and make small talk with my business associates. I want you to be the epitome of a well-mannered, traditional wife."

I bristled at his words. "So basically you're expecting me to be a pretty little trophy wife, all dolled up and on your arm?"

As if.

"That's a little harsh," he said, but there was a hint of a smirk on his lips. "Think of it more like... playing a role. We both have a part to play in this arrangement, and I expect you to play yours convincingly."

I couldn't help but feel a sense of frustration and anger bubbling up inside me. "And what about what I want?" I blurted out. "What about my own goals and ambitions? Do I just let them all go because we're playing this little game of house??"

He raised an eyebrow at my outburst, clearly surprised by my sudden anger. "You seem surprisingly emotional about this," he said, a note of disdain in his voice. "I thought you understood the deal. This is a business arrangement, not a love match. Your feelings and desires aren't relevant here."

I clenched my fists, fighting back the urge to yell at him. "Of course my feelings and desires are relevant," I said, my voice tight. "We're talking about our lives here, not just a mere transaction. I have needs and wants and dreams just like anyone else."

He snorted, unimpressed by my insistence. "Your feelings and desires are meaningless when compared to the larger picture," he said, his tone dismissive. "This marriage is about power, and status, and influence. Your emotions are simply not important in the grand scheme of things."

"And what about my happiness?" I demanded. "What about my sense of self and autonomy? Am I just supposed to sacrifice all of that for this... this business venture?"

My life was crumbling that I knew.

He sighed, as if my questions were nothing more than a mild annoyance. "Happiness is overrated," he said. "It's a frivolous, fleeting emotion that has no place in the world of business. And as for autonomy, you still have plenty of freedom to pursue your own interests and hobbies, as long as they don't interfere with my work or our public image as a couple."

I couldn't believe what he was saying, was he mental. "You make it sound like you're buying a piece of property, not marrying a human being with actual thoughts and feelings," I said incredulously. "Can't you see how heartless and cold that sounds?"

"Heartless and cold, perhaps," he said, his tone unapologetic. "But also practical and realistic. I don't have time for emotional attachment or sentimentality. I have a business to run and a reputation to uphold. Our marriage is just another part of that, a means to an end. And I expect you to play your part without any unnecessary distractions or complications."

"This conversation is over," he said, standing up abruptly after checking the time. "I have a meeting I need to get to. We'll talk more later."

He didn't even wait for me to respond, but turned and walked out of the café, leaving me sitting there stunned.
_________________________________