Sebastian's Trial

The song choice for this chapter is "You're Somebody Else" by flora cash.

I have been at the ministry many times before, but never on my own accord

I have been at the ministry many times before, but never on my own accord. I was never here because someone told me to, but because I visited Mum at work. During those times, everyone was nice to me, treated me kindly, and never wanted to say anything that might offend me.

It is different this time.

When I hand my wand to the wizard sitting behind the counter, he watches me closely. I feel judged even though I'm not here for my trial but for Sebastian's. Yet I feel like I am being tried alongside him. Does Ominis feel the same way?

Dad ushers me forward, leading me through the hall with the fountain in its middle and I swear, should this go over smoothly, and Ominis' plan would work, I'll throw all my pocket money in there, for as long as I shall live.

Dad has his arm around my shoulders while taking me downstairs to the courtrooms. It is cold and dusty in this corridor; they didn't even bother to pretend to have windows down here. It's like they're trying to make people on trial feel even worse as if Azkaban doesn't do the job for them.

'Are you alright, darling?' Dad asks as we step in front of the door. 'Tell me. I know your mum and I are strict, and we're mad, and we're disappointed, and –'

'Dad...,' I say. 'You're not helping.'

He holds me by my arms, bowing down a little so he's on my height. 'I'm sorry. I just wanted to say – I know we've been tough lately, and I know you know why, but despite it all, this isn't easy. I get that. From what I've understood, Sebastian has been a friend to you, and saying the truth now can't be easy.'

Oh, if he only knew ...

Still, I get what he's saying. They have been angry with me, treating me like an outcast all summer. Barely speaking to me. Mum was mostly off at work and Dad would only ask me if I was hungry or sleepy, or whatever else basic human need I might have. Comfort was scarce and I'd love to judge them for it, but I can't. I understand why they're hurt. We've always been close, they've been there for me when I thought I was born a squib, as it took me fifteen years to reveal my magic. They were so proud when it was as powerful as it was; when they realised ancient magic was flowing in my veins and I wasn't doomed to the muggle world after all. Theodore, my brother, showed his first piece of magic before I did, and it broke my heart. I thought he inherited what I didn't. It burnt me, and I didn't want to be mad, I tried so hard, but I was. And I nearly hurt my brother in the process.

I snap out of the memory, looking back at my father. Honestly, I judge Sebastian for so many things, but protecting his sister will never be one of them. It's what I should've done, and what I swore to myself I'll do from here on out. I know what it feels like to see your sibling slowly fade away, knowing that, maybe, all you're doing is making it worse.