twenty

Alice Jones

I tried to stop my tears as I made my way home but they wouldn't stop, they wouldn't stop at all...
And I thought he loved me. I thought his feelings were real but turns out they were a fucking bet.

I was a fucking bet.  He made a bet with Adam? Was his hate towards him all played? Are they actually friends? Do they meet up in private and talk normally?

I don't know. It all feels so weird. I just gave Tyler a speech about my feelings and then Adam comes telling me all of it was a lie? Tyler didn't even speak up to explain himself. He just stood there, saying nothing.

And I thought I know him. I thought the person I met would be the person I love. What is wrong with me? How could I be so naive?

I open the front door, talking off these heels which have been a pain in my ass for the whole night, I swear I'll have swollen feet tomorrow.

I suddenly spot a tall figure in the corner of my eye as I make my way into the living room.
I freeze. He can't be here. That's not him, right?
"Hello, Darling." His raspy and dark voice says. A crackly smile spreads across his lips.

My eyes fill with tears and I shake my head. "Leave." I say, vision getting blurry. Those dark eyes, his handsome but kind of old face, the stubbles on his chin and his dark brown almost grey hair.

I haven't seen him in almost a year and I've sworn myself I don't want to ever see him again. He left me alone, never was supportive.

I didn't do all this work for him. I did it for my mother. Me standing in my prom dress in front of him. For my mother...

"Where are Susen and Brian?" He shrugged. "Still at the party I guess. Congrats by the way." Right, I forgot I ran off and didn't tell anyone.

That stinging pain coming back after thinking about the situation earlier, him, everything.
"I don't need your congrats. Did this all without you."

I raised my head, finally looking into my father's eyes. "I know you did. I'm proud of you." That knife that's been stabbed into my heart by Tyler, pushed itself in further.

Maybe it was my father holding the handle and stabbing in further. Stop praising me. Stop, stop, stop!

"What do you want?" I studied his features, it's creepy because I almost didn't look like him at all.
I just got his hair color and his lips. That's it and I'm glad it is.

You could think he's not my father. Which I'm pretty grateful for nowadays. I don't want anyone to know that this bastard standing in front of me is my father.

"I want you to come with me. Me and my wife want you to live in New York with us." Wife. The knife definitely went even deeper right now. He moved on and I just know he did way before my mother died.

He fucked around with another woman while my mother was fighting for her life, dying, asking for him. God, it makes my heart hurt so much, makes me hate him so much.

I laugh, I actually laugh, loud and almost as if I'd start crying right after it. "And why would you think I'd want to move to New York with you?" He hold up a letter.

"New York's Hunter College wants you. I'd be a great opportunity, I could support you while you're going to college." I wrote to a few colleges a few weeks ago. I would've never thought Hunter College would take me in...

This is a great opportunity and I can't just decline. I'll have to move to New York and start going to college there... But knowing my dad lives in New York definitely doesn't make it better.