Part 6

11

Shen Tong Guang was very attractive, drawing the attention of young and married women along the way.

Some bold girls ignored me and threw flirtatious glances at him:

"Whose gongzi is this? Are you engaged?"

Shen Tong Guang took my hand and smiled slightly at them:

"Yes, I am! I'm from the Li Zhen Zhu family."

I didn't know why, but when Shen Tongguang said this, my heart swelled with pride, and I even dared to walk with my head held high.

Shen Tong Guang had plenty of money and led me into a silk shop.

Surrounded by fine silks, I didn't dare look, gently tugging his sleeve:

"Shen Tong Guang, I can't afford this."

He winked at me, signaling not to worry:

"Your husband can afford it."

Shen Tong Guang paid ten taels of silver for two sets of ethereal red robes, saying we would wear them on our wedding day.

It was my first time wearing silk, feeling as comfortable as cool water flowing over my skin.

Shen Tong Guang held my hand at the market, buying many cosmetics, hairpins, and jewelry.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I realized I was already a nineteen-year-old big girl.

We shopped from noon until dark, and Shen Tong Guang even bought two bottles of good wine to take home.

"This wine is excellent. When we get married, we'll buy such good wine."

This was also the first time in my life that I had tasted wine.

Shen Tong Guang had a big appetite, but his alcohol tolerance was low, even lower than mine.

"Zhen Zhu, are you happy? Are you satisfied? Is there anything else you want?"

I nodded vigorously, then shook my head:

"I don't want anything else. This is already very good."

Shen Tong Guang, drunk and with hazy eyes, lifted his chin proudly:

"This is all you desire? Even if you wanted wealth and honor, or a noble title, I could grant it.

"Even if a commoner wished to become an emperor, it would only take a nod from me, the divine beast."

I bit my chopsticks, not quite understanding but greatly admiring Shen Tong Guang:

"Husband, you are amazing."

Shen Tong Guang was very drunk.

He leaned in close, examining me carefully in the moonlight:

"Then give me your heart to eat, will you?"

I nodded:

"Okay."

My answer was too straightforward, and Shen Tong Guang was displeased:

"Silly Zhen Zhu, do you know what I mean?"

"I know."

Although I was silly, I wasn't so stupid as to not understand.

Shen Tong Guang wasn't human; he was a demon who gained power by eating human hearts.

But so what? No one had ever been so kind to me.

He lightly bit my face and sighed:

"Tsk, you're so easy to deceive, it almost makes me feel guilty."

12

Shen Tong Guang and I were going to get married.

Not like the secretive way with Xie Wu Chen.

Shen Tong Guang had beautiful handwriting; he sent invitations to everyone in Li Family Village.

Shen Tong Guang was skillful; he cut out the囍 (Xi) [1] characters, even sticking them on Da Huang's doghouse.

Shen Tong Guang was also very considerate. He was worried that the people at the tavern might not be attentive, so he hired an ox cart with me to transport the wine back.

The autumn weather was pleasantly cool, the ox cart moved slowly, but we weren't in a hurry.

Shen Tong Guang picked a small yellow flower and pinned it in my hair.

The wine jars clinked together, creating a ding-ding-dong-dong song.

Shen Tong Guang chewed on a piece of foxtail grass, resting his head on his hand, watching the geese in the sky:

"Zhen Zhu, I suddenly feel very happy. It seems being a mortal isn't so bad."

On the day of our wedding, all the benefactors of Li Zhen Zhu came. Da Huang barked excitedly.

"Zhen Zhu has a family now. Her parents can rest in peace." Village Chief Li wiped his tears.

"It's a joyful day, let's not talk about such things," Aunt Liu looked at Shen Tong Guang, smiling from ear to ear, "What a handsome groom, Zhen Zhu's foolishness brought her good fortune."

Shen Tong Guang lightly squeezed my hand under his sleeve.

As we were bowing to heaven and earth, before Shen Tong Guang and I could stand up, a sword aura shattered the celebration table.

I recognized that sword—it was Xie Wu Chen's.

I turned around and saw Xie Wu Chen, his robes fluttering.

Seeing the immortal with a grim expression coming to question, the guests fled.

When Xie Wu Chen saw me in my bridal attire, he seemed momentarily stunned.

He quickly regained his composure and sneered:

"Li Zhen Zhu, do you really want to marry a demon?"

Footnote:

[1] The character 囍 (Xi) is a Chinese symbol traditionally used in weddings and celebrations to represent joy and marital bliss.