Part 8

14

An immortal could subdue a demon but couldn't kill a mortal.

I protected Shen Tong Guang, and Xie Wu Chen couldn't find an opportunity to strike.

Without his magic, Shen Tong Guang was just an ordinary person.

We had to get up very early to clean the chicken coop.

Then we walked a long distance to the market to buy and sell goods, earning some money to make ends meet.

Day in and day out, the life of ordinary people repeated itself.

But wherever we went, Xie Wu Chen followed, not too close, not too far.

Even without magic, Shen Tong Guang could read and keep accounts.

When there were no customers, he patiently taught me.

"Hey, I heard Zhen Zhu got married."

I looked up and saw Zhang Ma Zi, the one who had tricked me out of my egg money.

I guardedly shielded my money pouch and Shen Tong Guang.

"Don't be nervous. Are you selling these eggs?"

"Not to you!"

"Let's settle this. Doing business with me is a good deal. You, a fool, can't keep track of things and blame me for tricking you..."

I didn't want to listen.

"My wife is pure-hearted and doesn't like to argue with ruffians like you. If you don't understand accounts," Shen Tong Guang stepped in front of me, lifting his chin with a cold smile, "I know a bit about fighting too."

As it turned out, Zhang Ma Zi knew a bit more about fighting than Shen Tong Guang.

Shen Tong Guang lost the fight, and I lost another basket of eggs.

On the way back, it was already late.

The sky was full of stars, and the path was quiet.

"When I regain my powers, I'll rip out his heart and lungs and eat them!"

Shen Tong Guang hobbled along, saying harsh words, then felt embarrassed:

"I'm sorry, Zhen Zhu... I wanted to stand up for you. I thought I could beat him..."

I didn't know why.

I only felt sorry for Shen Tong Guang getting beaten.

I didn't feel sorry for the eggs at all.

It turned out that having someone with you, even losing eggs and being a fool wasn't such a difficult thing to endure.

"I-I've lived a hundred years, though that's young for a Taotie, I've never lost a fight."

He lied. I remembered he lost to Xie Wu Chen's master and to Xie Wu Chen himself.

"Zhen Zhu, even though I got beaten, I think being a mortal isn't so bad." Shen Tong Guang thought, "Look at Zhang Ma Zi, he won the fight but doesn't have a wife to take care of him. How pitiful."

Da Huang was waiting for us at the village entrance.

It ran up joyfully, biting Shen Tong Guang's pant leg.

"Ouch, ouch... Da Huang, stop!"

Looking at Shen Tong Guang's awkward appearance, I don't know why, but we looked at each other and couldn't stop laughing.

"What are you laughing at?"

"I don't know."

"What are you laughing at?"

"I don't know either."

Da Huang didn't know why we were laughing either, but it wagged its tail foolishly, happy to join in.

At this moment, it seemed like the Taotie and the immortals were just legends.

We were just a pair of ordinary spouses relying on each other in this world.

In the moonlight, Shen Tong Guang quietly held my hand.

His awkward initiative made my heart race more than any deliberate act before.

How strange.

Why did I think of Shen Tong Guang looking like an alluring demon that night?

I was startled, quickly pulling my hand back, stuttering:

"Shen Tong Guang, I... I think I'm sick. My heart is beating so fast."

Our eyes met and then quickly looked away.

Tonight, the new moon was pale and inexperienced, not good at hiding secrets.

It allowed us to see each other's faces, which were unexpectedly both red.

"I-I think I might be hurt too." Shen Tong Guang nervously looked at me, pointing to his chest, "Zhen Zhu, I haven't eaten any sweet flatbreads, but it feels so sweet here."

Da Huang didn't understand, just tilted its head and looked at us.

Then it barked three times angrily.

Da Huang always barked three times when it was full.