Chapter 2

"Cyno!!" I yell, rushing to throw the door open.

There he stands, the handsome white-haired boy, his deep red eyes softening slightly at seeing my excited face. I might have imagined that part, though.

"Shall we go then, Y/n?" he asks me as I just stand there, happily staring him in the eyes.

"Yes!" I reply, grabbing by bag and bouncing outside.

I follow Cyno down the sandy trail through meadows and jungles. As we end up on a meadow surrounded by "walls" of red, dry soil  as if someone had cut out a circular piece of land and made it a meadow — upon which numerous short trees and shrubs thrive, I can't help but look around myself once again. I always wonder as to why he chose this place as our training grounds, and not any other place in the Avidya forest. He prefers the desert more than the woods and the jungles, but maybe he chose this place because he wants me to be able to focus easier. It really is very silent here.

"Ready?" he asks me, as I grab my polearm from the strap slung over my shoulder.

"Ready."

Without giving me a heads-up, he runs forward, his weapon directed at my throat. I push his polearm away with my own in the nick of time, as the terrible clash of our weapons rings in my ears. I furrow my brows at the impact, as Cyno keeps pushing his weapon against mine, and I'm afraid that my arms will give way. Gathering my force, I allow myself a second before throwing his weapon away with my own, sending him to skid against the ground. With a quiet grunt, he comes back, but this time I dodge, nearly slicing his left side with my polearm in the aftermath.

Not giving me the chance to regain my breath, he attacks me from the back, and I can only manage to bend myself backwards in a clumsy kind of bridge-pose, as to avoid getting hit in the lower back. The weapon slashes inches above my face, before spinning away for Cyno to catch. He definitely didn't see that coming.

"Wow, Y/n," he says, a smile growing on his face. "That was awesome!"

I groan, rising from the ground which I fell onto shortly after doing the bombastic move, which was nowhere near to what my spine was prepared for. Cyno lends me a helping hand.

"Yea, well—" I'm about to reply, as I'm pulled up by his strong hand, but then I notice the closeness between us, and wanting to step back, I stumble from my fluster, going back home to the ground. Unfortunately, Cyno was still holding onto my hand, so he couldn't help but fall down with me as well.

I shut my eyes, awaiting a painful throb in my head that never came. I open my eyes to find Cyno hissing in pain, but he stops right when he sees that I am looking at him.

"Y/n, a-are you..okay?" I'm surprised to hear him stutter.

Not that I can blame him.

Our position is far from normal. He is basically on top of me, his left hand propped against the ground by the side of my head, while the other is snaked around my neck, holding the back of my head protectively. My eyesight glides down his toned body, and I feel my cheeks heat up as it lands on his abs. My eyes dart back to his. I am now sure that I'm blushing when I notice a warm hue on his cheeks, his red eyes having a look I cannot recognize.

Time stands still.

I open my mouth to speak, but the moment the air I've been holding in leaves my mouth, Cyno is up and walking away, picking up his spear nearby as he does. I feel stupid. 

I sit up looking at the sky. The moving clouds against the bright blue background, that I've lived under my whole life, are signaling their preparation for afternoon rains. I feel the dry Earth beneath the palms of my hands, the green grass tickling the sides of my fingertips. I can feel Cyno's gaze, but it is turned away from me the moment I let out a small sigh and get up from the soil.