Undercroft

The song choice for this chapter is "the grudge" by Olivia Rodrigo.

I hate to admit it, but Ominis did me a favour. Knowing that Sebastian is not talking to me because he heard the same threat I did, is a lot more manageable. While it does feel like I am stuck in a romantic novel, about two teenagers not allowed to be together, it is nicer imagining that he'd like to talk to me, than believing he doesn't because he hates me.

After two days of consideration, I agree to meet Anne. I tell Ominis, however, it'll have to wait until Saturday, because Imelda hosts the Quidditch tryouts on Friday, and I won't be missing that.

I left the castle with my broom a few times this week to practice on all of Imelda's courses and I think I did quite well. I may not be at the very top of the list, but I score high, and I am at least the best in Slytherin. And since I am only trying out for that team, it should suffice.

I walk onto the pitch on Friday afternoon, Poppy following suit. Hufflepuff has already had their tryouts, so she doesn't count as a spy, and even if not, I don't think Poppy would be the one to run off and tell people. Hufflepuff is known for being kind and loyal and all that. And hard-working. They'd want to earn their success.

When I walk on the field, broom in hand, Imelda is already there. She crosses her arms as I approach, a smug look on her face that I neither like nor appreciate.

'So, you did show up then, huh? You've been serious about joining the team?'

'Of course, I was, why shouldn't I?' I ask and put on the gloves I brought, just in case. It tends to be cold up in the air.

'Oh, I thought since Sallow is also trying out you might budge.'

She didn't – I must've misheard. 'Sebastian is trying out for the Quidditch team?' What is he counting on? That everyone is fearing him, so he'll score easily?

'Yeah, according to Kogawa it's part of his ... well ... rehabilitation programme, one could say. He is to engage in school activities, not spend so much time on his own, brooding. She asked me if I'd be okay with him trying out and I don't see a reason why not.'

The reason is that she likes him, and we all know it. It's her chance to be close to him, like, all the time. If I have feelings for him that is one thing, I've been with him through this hell and back, I've seen him suffer, I've seen the consequences. I know what I'm getting myself into and I know that when I say there is more to the story, there is.

But Imelda? Sorry, girl, but is that like some sort of a self-deprecating streak? Do you want to get yourself in trouble?

'Do you have a problem with that?' she asks me, clearly hoping I do.

'Nope. Don't.' And then because I can't help myself, I add, 'What position is he trying out for?'

'Keeper. So, you're safe.'