Chapter 2

Janine is on her make-up table that has a big mirror in front of her, she is getting ready to go to Ateneo University where she studies. She loves to leave the house to go to her university because that's the only freedom the world has given her; No moms and no bodyguards. But it changes today, Claudette is here to pick her up. Even in school, she is not free from a person keeping an eye on her. She just wants her own space and her mother doesn't want to grant that. Janine always wondered what she had done wrong as a daughter to deserve to be almost locked up.

Janine went downstairs, in the living room Claudette was already there, her face on her phone waiting for her. The maid called Janine to eat breakfast in the dining room but she is sure that her mom is inside. She said to her maid that she didn't want to eat breakfast at the moment and would eat on the way. Claudette overheard the conversation and recommended her boss to eat breakfast, however, Janine just ignored her affirmation and told her that they should go.

Janine and her mother haven't talked since the last time she announced being guarded inside the school premises. Claudette is getting worried, she doesn't know what she gets herself involved in, not to be rude but the whole household just radiates mommy issues. Claudette can't back-out now, this supervising is part of the offer. They promised Claud that they would pay her tuition if she also guards Janine inside the school. This offer plus her scholarship in DOST will help her and Epep's financial struggle.

The car ride is quiet and it's making Claud uneasy so she ought to break the silence. "Ma'am, gusto mo bang magbreakfast muna? Maaga pa naman."

Janine sighs, she doesn't want to talk with anyone right now, she just wants to be alone with her thoughts. Just a  moment if silence is enough. "Claudette, just drive. I already had a bad morning, don't make it worse."

She looked in the front mirror to look at her boss who was sitting in the backseat of the car. Just a moment ago; when Claudette opened the door for the passenger seat, Janine completely ignored Claudette's gestures and went straight to the backseat–Indicating that she was also sulking at Claudette–This attitude reminded Claudette that she was actively participating between Janine and her mother's quarrel.

A few minutes pass by and Janine's thoughts are making her feel worse. She needs a distraction right now like talking to someone but when she messaged her group chat with friends none of them answered, just left on delivered. She needs to distract herself now or maybe she'll feed into her intrusive thoughts and might jump off the car. The only person available to talk to is Claudette. She doesn't know what conversation to open up tho but she is lucky, she saw Jollibee and thought they could get breakfast there. Maybe this way she can open up a conversation.

"Maaga pa diba? Punta ka sa drive-thru ng Jollibee and order me and yourself something." Janine spoke confidently, talking is better than letting her be alone with her thoughts. Claudette just nodded and followed what she commanded. After getting the food and consuming it, silence is found to fill in the car again, Janine's plan had failed in keeping a steady flow of conversation. Janine's comfort food is gone and nothing to distract her. There are a few minutes before getting to their destination and Janine really can't handle the silence even though she asked for it when Claudette spoke first. Janine eventually thought of a nice topic.

"It's very convenient that you know how to drive different vehicles," Janine commented. "It must be one of the reasons why my mother accepted you." She added.

"Thanks for the compliment, Ma'am. Maraming oras lang po talaga ang meron ako dati." Claudette replied.

"Although with this skill, I don't think it's enough to hire you."

"Huwag n'yo po akong maliitin, Ma'am. Baka nakakalimutan n'yo na red belter ako dati sa taekwondo."

"Whatever, can you even handle a gun?"