Chapter Twenty | Researching

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

| Elijah |

Every second without Haru felt like hours, and Elijah couldn't settle. Knowing that Haru was in danger horrified him, and the fact that he couldn't do anything about it made it worse. How long were his parents going to take to find a way to save him? What if Haru said or did something that made Kaiichiro suspicious of him? What if Haru's desire to help out got him caught...or worse?

The demon scowled as he sat up and checked his phone for messages, but Haru hadn't told him that he was awake yet. Elijah knew that sitting there waiting wouldn't do anyone any good; he needed to distract himself, so he went over to the box of snacks and electronics that one of the castle staff had brought up for him earlier. He grabbed the half-inch-thick matte black laptop, sat on his bed, and opened it.

But unlike Zoe's laptop and those he'd used while hunting for Haru, the laptop in front of him was brand new and needed setting up—thankfully, though, it was already connected to the internet. With a quiet sigh, he went through the start-up process, adjusting settings and creating passwords, and once he was done, he opened the internet browser and typed in Tahawal.

He watched as the results showed up on the screen.

Tahawal, myth or fact? – The Tahawal are an ancient race of lycan....

Tahawal species on the verge of extinction – What happened to the...

Tahawal granted Nosferatu protection – The Odessian species was....

Elijah opened the third result first.

The Tahawal, one of Aegisguard's oldest races of people were granted Nosferatu protection and council membership in the year 1000, seven months after the beginning of the first worldwide war. Their assistance helped propel the Nosferatu towards victory...

He sighed deeply and clicked the back button. That wasn't what he was looking for. Instead, he opened the first link. It was a blog post.

The Tahawal are an ancient race of lycan...apparently. They come up in many old stories, a very old type of lycan which slowly became extinct. But did these people really exist, or were they just created to hide something more sinister?

He wasn't looking for conspiracy theories.

Elijah clicked out of the site and scrolled down the results page, trying to find something that might tell him more about Tahawal. When he finally found a site that looked like it might be useful, he clicked on it and started reading.

The Tahawal were an ancient Odessian race of lycan capable of manipulating their own DNA to adapt and evolve. Able to transform themselves into completely different beings, it is believed that the tahawal gradually wiped themselves out to save themselves from the relentless pursuit of hunters, who sought them out for their programable DNA.

Elijah scrolled down a little until he found information about what they were capable of. He read everything that he and Lucian had already learned from Sinclair, and there wasn't anything new or helpful...until he scrolled down a little further.

Although males are born without the adaptation gene and require it to be bequeathed by their father, some stories suggest that any male tahawal can pass their ability to evolve onto another male. Other stories tell of tahawal who have forcefully taken the ability from each other.

Forcefully taken? Elijah scowled and clicked out of the site. He quickly typed in, Are there any tahawal left?, and watched the results quickly show up.

Everything that he saw suggested that the tahawal were extinct, but how could anyone really be sure? What if there were tahawal out there that had evolved into something else? Could their ability still be taken if they were no longer tahawal?

He went back to the site that mentioned stories of the ability being stolen and read through the rest, hoping to find an answer to his question. And when he read that the ability to adapt and evolve remained dormant in tahawal which had evolved into other beings, worry clashed with his dismay. If there were tahawal out there...Maverick and Ysmay could find and use any one of them to give Maverick the ability to change his DNA.

Did Lucian know? Elijah was sure that his annoying, bitchy little cousin was doing his own research, so he'd probably already found the same website. He wasn't going to text him just to receive an arrogant response. So, he kept reading.

But that was when a knock came at the frame of his bedroom door.

He looked up from his laptop and set his eyes on Zalith.

"Could you come downstairs, please?" his father asked. "We need to talk."

Elijah didn't need to ask him what he wanted to talk about. It was about him and Lucian going to Sinclair, wasn't it? That doctor had said he'd tell his parents that they went to him; he was already expecting a conversation. So he got up off his bed and followed Zalith downstairs and through the castle.

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲