16

Thea

"Why didn't you tell me you knew the Hayes boy?" That was the first question my father asked me the second we entered our house.

"I didn't think it was important." And that was the only answer I could think of giving him.  I was bracing myself for at least a slap but instead, he gave me a 'hmm' then left me alone. I was grateful that he spared me last night. I was already tired and the fact that I had school today drained me. I wanted to skip but I did not want to stay in the house alone with my father either.

After changing, I went to have breakfast in the kitchen with my mother who loved waking up early for some reason. I did not speak to her about last night again. She wouldn't understand; she didn't want to. She believed her husband to be some sort of god who kept all of us safe but it was the opposite. I couldn't change her mindset even if I tried. Thankfully, she let me ate in silence and I only said 'bye' to her before leaving. One that she returned.

Like always, Peter was waiting in the car. "Good morning." He was cheery, as usual.

"Morning." I smiled and like yesterday, we made small conversations until we reached school. I went to my locker, and glanced at my timetable. Science first, of course. Like seeing my lab partner, Cain Hayes, after yesterday was just the thing I needed.

"Hey girl." Penelope's familiar voice interrupted my thoughts. "I heard about last night."

I raised a brow at her. "What happened last night?"

She looked at me as if I'd grown two heads. "Cain Hayes left his date, Angie, to dance with you."

"Oh." I leaned against my locker. "Im not really interested in gossips. It was just a dance and he did not go there with what's-her-name."

"I think you just made yourself an enemy." She shook her head. "Be careful."

I knew Penelope was a nice person, only trying to look out for me but she was starting to get on my nerves. Angie was just a girl who went to the same school as we did. Sure, she was a bully but so what? She didn't have any superpowers that made her stronger, or better than us. It was the kind of people like Penelope who made girls like Angie thrived, made them think they're stronger, better than the rest of us.

"You shouldn't fear her. She's nobody." I sighed, walking to the science lab, leaving Penelope with her own thoughts. First period had already started, and I was late. Again. Thankfully, my lab partner hadn't arrive yet either. I apologized to the teacher for my tardiness and went to my table.

"Where's your partner, Miss Hart?", the teacher's question caught me by surprise.

"He's not here, obviously." The words escaped my mouth before I could stop them.

"Do you know where he is?" She asked, her tone stern.

I shook my head, about to answer with a 'no' when I was interrupted. "I'm right here."

Cain walked in the classroom, not bothering to apologize for his tardiness like I did. His sleeves were rolled up, exposing the tattoos on his arm and his beautiful tiny diamond dagger chain hung around his neck. I was jealous of that chain. I wondered where he bought it.

I didn't even realize he was standing in front of me until he broke me out of my staring session with his chain. "Missed me?"

I cleared my throat, looking at him. "No."

"We're friends now, remember?" He grinned, reminding me of last night when he said he wanted to be friends and I agreed. "Yes, we are."

"Mr Hayes." The teacher spoke. "Do you have a reason for being late?"

"Personal reasons."  He answered without sparing her a glance. "Are we doing anything interesting today or what?"

The teacher knew arguing with him would be useless so she just returned back to her seat and explained today's lesson where we had to do a presentation by next week. When she was done explaining, Cain turned to me. "My house or yours?"

"For what?" I asked.

"For the project, of course." He raised a brow. "So, my house or yours?"

I knew my father would not appreciate me bring Cain into our house. He would kill me, or worse. I shook my head. "Yours." I wondered if my father would even let me go to Cain's house for a project. Who was I kidding? I knew he wouldn't. He didn't have to know.

"Daddy won't appreciate me being in your house?" He asked, grinning.

I gave him a glare, shaking my head. "No. I don't think he'll appreciate me being in your house either."

He hummed softly, tucking the loose strand of my hair behind my ear. "So protective of you, isn't he?"

I stayed silent, looking into his eyes for a while then looked away, taking a step back from him. "Of course. I'm his daughter, after all." The lies rolled off my tongue so easily. "Isn't that what fathers are supposed to do for their kids? Protect them?"

"Yeah." His eyes darkened. "Those who have them anyway."

I bit the inside of my cheeks, cursing myself for saying that. I had completely forgotten that Cain's father had died. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

"It's fine." It almost sounded a growl. Before I could say anything else, he took off. He left the classroom before the lesson was even over and I did not blame him for it. I screwed up by saying that, I hit a nerve and I did not know how to fix it.