20. closing the distance

"Well, travelers, the inn is quite full. We only have one room with one bed left. Ya either take it or leave.

"We'll take it," he finally spoke.

"How on Earth did I let this happen?" Hayoung thought, aghast at what just happened.

She and the prince were standing right in front of the door to their room as the innkeeper Delanie opened the door. The room was small. There was a one dresser and closet, a single full size bed, and a single cushioned chair with a leg rest by the window. Hayoung stood there stunned as Ni-ki willingly walked in, following Delanie.

"Well, here you are travelers. Sorry about the situation, but let me know if you need extra blankets or anything. Also, breakfast starts at 7 am in the pub and the pub is open till 2 am today if you are interested."

"Thank you, Delanie," Ni-ki exclaimed with a soft smile. She closed the door and the two were alone.

Hayoung turned her head to his direction, a visible blood vessel popping out of her forehead as she scowled.

"Your highness, what on earth are you thinking? Sharing a room? Do you know how inappropriate this is?" Hayoung whisper-shouted at him.

Ni-ki sheepishly chuckled and scratched the back of his head. "Well I thought this was avoiding attention. Nothing we can do about it now, right?"

Hayoung groaned as she put her palm on the middle of her forehead. "What the actual hell," she murmured to herself.

"Well, captain," Ni-ki exclaimed, clapping his hands, putting his bag on the dresser, "I shall take the chair and you may rest well on the bed. Your complexion and eye bags look awful these days. Or we can just sleep on the bed together."

Hayoung gave the prince an unamused look as he seemed too nonchalant about their rooming situation.

"You are absolutely ridiculous," she spat, her eyes twitching, "This is not a matter of joking or anything. You seem a little too at ease being on land already. Let me remind you this is only the beginning of our journey to Eloria. Moving on, I will take the chair, you will sleep on the bed. Tomorrow we will go shopping in town for necessities, stay for one more night, and then leave in the morning for Everfree. Understood, your highness?"

Ni-ki gulped with slight nervousness and nodded his head.

"Now go wash up and we will sleep. We both need rest."

**

The prince sat in the bathtub, soaking his sore, exhausted body in epsom salt in deep thought.

"When on earth did she become like this?" he muttered to himself, "Why is she kinda... scary? Well no shot she would've become captain of the Odessian Navy if she weren't tough, but she's nothing like she was nine years ago."

He slouched down in the tub, blowing bubbles with his mouth, still thinking. "Ugh, this new personality is annoying. How am I going to survive with her until we get to Eloria?" he scowled to himself.

He then sighed, sitting back up, resting his head against the wall.

"But then again, I owe her an apology for all those years ago. I'm going to tell her. I'll tell her soon. I have to before I'll never see her again."

**

The lamps were turned off and the moonlight crept through the sheer curtains of the window. Hayoung sat on the couch with her arms crossed over her chest, eyes closed, but her mind wouldn't rest. The prince on the other hand laid on his bed, eyes open, staring at the ceiling.

"Captain- Hayoung," Ni-ki corrected himself, "Are you still awake?"

Hayoung didn't answer him, but Ni-ki's intuition told him that she was still awake.

"I know I've been acting calmly about this. Well maybe not in the boat... that's kind of embarrassing the more I think about it," he bit the inside of his cheek briefly before continuing his confession, "I'm just trying to make myself feel better. I feel like my father is selling me out and I just don't know what to expect."

The room was silent as the sounds of people walking down the hall and small chatter could be heard.

"Anyways, good night, captain."

The prince closed his eyes, slowly drifting to sleep as Hayoung opened hers, her head turning to him. She sighed with concern trying to ignore his vulnerability. She couldn't let him get too close to her again, after all, he would just end up hurting her again.