Chapter 19

another boring chapter ahead.

Griffin leaned against the headboard of the bed, eyes fixed on the screen of his Nintendo Switch as he navigated Link through the landscapes of The Legend of Zelda. The room was dimly lit, casting a warm glow over the cozy space. The sound of running water from the bathroom indicated that Aiah was still getting ready for the night.

"Love," Aiah called from the bathroom, her voice slightly muffled. "Don't forget, we have dinner with my dad tomorrow night."

Griffin's fingers faltered on the controls, and his character in the game stumbled slightly. "Got it," he replied, his voice lacking its usual enthusiasm. "What time again?"

"Seven," she reminded him.

"Seven. Got it," he repeated, his tone a bit more distracted.

Aiah emerged from the bathroom a few minutes later, looking fresh and relaxed. She made her way to the bed, sliding under the covers and nestling against Griffin's side, her hand instinctively slipping under his night shirt to rest on his abs. Griffin immediately turned off his Switch, placing it on the nightstand. He shifted his position to give her his full attention, his arm draping over her shoulder.

"You seem a little tense," Aiah observed, noticing the way his jaw was slightly clenched and how his fingers twitched nervously against her skin.

Griffin sighed, his fingers playing with a strand of her hair. "I guess I'm just a bit nervous about meeting your dad. I want to make a good impression."

Aiah looked up at him, her eyes warm and reassuring. "There's no need to be nervous. My dad's a quiet guy. He doesn't talk much about himself."

Griffin frowned slightly. "What do you mean?"

Aiah shrugged. "He’s just reserved. He’s always been like that. He’ll ask you about your day, listen to what you have to say, but he won’t share much about himself unless you really pry. And even then, it's usually just the basics."

Griffin nodded, processing this. "What’s he like? I mean, what does he do for fun? What are his interests?"

Aiah smiled, thinking of her father. "He loves gardening with my mom. Our backyard is like a mini botanical garden because of her. He's also really into history. Oh, and he’s a great cook. He can whip up amazing dishes without breaking a sweat, you can have a cooking show with him."

"Sounds like a cool guy," Griffin said, a small smile playing on his lips. "But you said he doesn't talk much. Should I be worried about that? I mean, what if I can't get him to open up?"

Aiah shook her head, her fingers still tracing comforting patterns on his skin. "You don’t need to worry about that. He’s always been like that, even with me. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t like you or anything. It’s just his way. And besides, he’s already heard a lot about you from me."

Griffin’s expression softened. "Really?"

"Really," Aiah confirmed. "He’s looking forward to meeting the man who makes his daughter so happy."

Griffin sighed in relief, a smile spreading across his face. "Thanks, Love. I really want this to go well. Your family means a lot to you, and I want to be a part of that."

"You already are," Aiah assured him, leaning up to kiss his cheek. "Just be yourself. That's all you need to do."

Griffin wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer. "I'll do my best," he promised. "Speaking of plans" Griffin began, his tone light and conversational, "My mom wants to have a girls' day with you tomorrow."