The Chase

CHAPTER III: Prison Break

We kept running until we reached a forest sanctuary. I pulled out a red dry erase marker I had found while pick pocketing the business like woman (who I later found out was assigned to be our attorney). My brain instinctively marked five trees with the letters A, P, Z, X, and W.

Adeline, obviously confused asked, " Serena why are you doing that? I don't see the point."

While I set up the portable tent I replied, " Adeline quit thinking too much. I don't know why I'm doing it but it's something to confuse the FBI. They'll be distracted trying to figure out what it means which gives us time to disappear."

Adeline kept quiet the rest of the night. I gathered small thin sticks and started a fire to keep us warm for a while. Thinking about what I had just went through, I wasn't sure if if I could bear the pain any longer.

I forced myself to sleep, bundled up in seven hand woven blankets. I silently cried; my mom had given me those blankets three days before she was killed.

Saturday morning, I woke up early ready to find food. I opened the zip to Adeline's tent.

" Adeline, you sleepy head wake up and help find food. Uh.... Adeline?" I said, unsure if she was there.

I lifted the blankets to find two stuffed pillows.

Frantically, I searched everywhere. As I was looking, I found a crumpled piece of paper buried under the blankets.

The note read simply two words. LOOK OUTSIDE.

Cautiously, I pulled out my Swiss army knife and stealthily walked out of the tent.

Almost immediately, a wire net flew down and surrounded my body. it tightened around me quickly. I dropped my knife and tried to breath. I was claustrophobic my entire life and now I felt my heart was in my leg.

My body couldn't handle the pressure and I blacked out.

As I finally woke from my black out, it took me a while for my eyes to regain focus.