Chapter 3; Sweet Roses

A/N: I finished this like weeks ago and then forgot to upload this😭

Anyway please enjoy

╔══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╗

A young girl stood at a counter, blank eyes staring lifelessly at the bowl. The faintest sound of ticking could be heard, if you listened close enough.

*Thud!*

The child's hands tightened, the bowl of white batter suddenly looking foul. “I am so sorry, my sweet love.” Her mother's voice sounded so sweet, despite the red liquid on her cheek and tinted look in her eyes. It sounded so sweet it almost made the child sick. “Mommy has to take care of something, but keep baking.” The girl could hear something being dragged on the floor before a repeated tumble as something fell down the stairs. “Make sure it's done before I come back. It's dessert for your father, you know what to do.”

*Thud!*

The ticking was all she could hear now that it was quiet again. Ayanos' eye flickered over to the basement door, another tumbling catching her before she looked away. Tiny hands grabbed a wooden spoon, void like eyes staring at it. She didn't understand what to do, so she just stuck it in the batter and stirred. Around and around and around till her arm became sore. The bowl itself was bigger than her head, but Ayano could still lift it.

The batter was thinned down as it tipped over a small baking pan, dripping out till it filled the metal shape. “Hm.” Ayano raised a leg up, her toes reaching the edge of the counter, her muscles curling as she hoisted herself up. ‘Click.’ The oven beeped to life, heat reaching out and touching her face when she finally got down and opened the oven door. The metal racks shook as it took the weight of the baking sheet. It felt hot, even if Ayano could still hear the constant whirling of the air-conditioning. The tiny girl blinked as the heat caressed her face, her hand twitching and jolting back when it reached out.

The oven door slammed shut, heat and light beaming through the tiny window on it. Ayano stood outside, watching in as the batter bubbled and softened to a thicker consistency. She liked this. Ayano was alone and this felt human. Like something normal. If she could close her eyes, ignoring the broken strings of pleas and muffled giggles of the basement, she could imagine something normal.

She could imagine a mother looking at her with love, helping her bake and making sure she was careful. She could imagine a father instead of the doll her father was forced to be. She could imagine him reading her stories, and taking her to eat ice cream without having to keep it secret. She could imagine a daughter with a beating heart.

But that image would always be tainted. The panicked cries of the basement would always break through, knocking away that image and turning it into cracked glass. The splatting of something being cut open would form more cracks. The giggling that mellowed out the pleas of mercy would crack it. Crack, crack and crack. That cracked image could only hold on for so long till it shattered.

Ayano opened the door with the oven beeped, allowing her focus to drift onto something other than the basement. The heat didn't feel comforting as much. It didn't feel like a gentle caress as she leaned forward to pull out the baking pan. It felt angry, sizzling and sitting away till something reached out for it. When Ayano placed her hands on the pan, that anger slapped her hands away. It now sizzled on her palms, the pale skin going red and bumpy and spreading to her wrists. Ayano just stood there, observing as her hands swelled up and grew glossy, almost like her hands were an entirely different thing from her. It didn't look normal.