Kapitel 3 ~ Elizabeth

All it did was sit there at the end of the dark spruce forest. Its intense gaze was straight at her and all she could do was stare back.

Her heart was pounding hard against her chest and she seemed to have lost her breath. Slowly she took a step backwards, only to be met in the same second by the same muffled warning.

Without thinking, she took a step closer without breaking eye contact with the animal. Until it suddenly stood up on all fours to cautiously take a few steps closer to her. Panic ran through her, causing her to take a shaky breath and hastily back away.

As if it had understood her fear, it sat back down to continue staring at her. They stared silently into each other's eyes. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. The wolf's eyes, they were such a blue color that they were almost loose.

Had they not been black?

Questioningly, she drew her eyebrows together again to inspect the beautiful creature with its dark brown fur and bright blue eyes.

She wanted to touch the fur that looked so velvety to her eyes. The one that blew so beautifully in the wind. Without any sense on her side, she cautiously approached the giant wolf.

The wolf's intense blue eyes stared at her unreadably, then lay down without taking her eyes off him. Cautiously, she sat down next to it to stretch her hand against its fur. She swallowed hard and unsteadily pulled her hand away from the velvety dark brown fur.

Her heart thumped throughout her body as she began to realize what she had done. How could she do something so stupid as to walk up to a giant wild wolf?
Sure, she was curious, but not stupid enough to risk her own life.

Or what would she believe in anymore?

The wolf's intense gaze made her pause again. How could such a beautiful color be on such a wild and dangerous animal? A wild animal that no one dared to be near.

Slowly but timidly, she carefully backed away from the wild wolf.

Slowly it got up again, sitting down, to look after her from its sitting position. Her forehead fell into a deep crease. Her gut told her something completely different from her brain. Was she afraid?

No, she wasn't. It didn't feel like it. What was wrong with her? How could she not be afraid? Instead of continuing to question herself, she reluctantly turned to look away from those intense light blue eyes of the beautiful creature.

How she hated her thoughts at this moment. With her jaw clenched tightly, she hastily increased her steps away from the edge of the dark forest. Suddenly there was a similar low growl as before and she froze. Her heart pounded hard against her chest as she decided to turn around again to face the giant wolf. It sat there as if nothing had happened.

Had she gone mad?

Was her mind playing tricks on her? She studied the beautiful wolf again with wide eyes. Mostly for its beauty, but also to see if the coast was clear for what she intended to do next. Slowly, her eyes fixed on the wolf's, she took a step backwards. Before she suddenly took off and started running as far as she could away from the wolf's intense gaze. Away from the dark forest border.

She wasn't stupid enough to turn around to see if it was following her or not, but her heart was pounding behind her chest in fear. The fear she tried to tell herself she had of the wolf.

She had surely gone mad. Something was not right with that creature.
That...beast.

The chilly air around her gave her goose bumps, from the flutter of the cold nightgown's thin fabric against her legs. The chill rose with her veins from the wet socks on her feet hitting the grassy ground beneath her. Once she had made it down the steep hill and into the field, her labored breathing was all she could hear.