Epilogue

Within the haunted confines of the cave, bathing in the comfort of silence, where the quiet hung like a noose, lost in the mire of endless thoughts; I stood at the edge of the world. The last silhouette to the lighthouse. The pitch perfect dark illuminated me in ways that the light could not, and I brought my mind and body to an absolute calm as I awaited my fate.

Strapped to a chair, a bag draped over my head, I allowed myself to be lost to the sounds I heard. The lazy steps of a guard on patrol, the radio chatter, the drip of water from an unknown source, the light ascent of an insect. I knew not how long I waited, my best estimation at around an hour, but no matter what I was to face, I was finally absolved of my curse. That much I knew.

The metal door heaved as someone entered the room.

Two more followed.

I heard the metallic scrape of a weapon.

I braced for the cut, but it never came.

The bag was ripped from my head, and I saw him at last.

Talaal el-Mohammed, my old employer, stood before me with armed men on either side of him.

He spread his arms triumphantly, and leaned in close.

"Damon Carter, my long-lost friend."

I said nothing.

"This is almost surreal. I spent a great amount of time imagining what I would say to you if I ever saw you again, and it seems that fate was as determined as I to have the last word."

"I'm ready to listen," I said.

"Five years ago, I posed a question. I asked if you thought the day would ever come where your services were no longer required. And do you remember what it was that you said?"

I smiled as I recalled.

"If that day were to come, my friend, I may just request a clean death."

"Exactly that."

He clasped my shoulder and began to pace back and forth in front of me.

The game had begun.

"Many of my men are calling for your blood."

"Are you among them?" I replied.

"I have not decided yet."

I raised my eyebrows.

"I thought your decision would have been easier."

"Sorry to disappoint."

"How's your brother-in-law?" I asked.

Talaal smirked, "You're still just as cavalier as I remember."

The man beside him seethed and made a move towards me, but Talaal shunned him.

"Act out of turn again and you'll lose your hands," Talaal warned with authority.

The man retreated immediately.

I sighed.

"What is it that you want to achieve with all of this, old friend?"

"You're on trial, Damon. The trial, quite literally, of your life."

I shrugged; the best that I could manage with my hands bound.

"Your brother-in-law did manage to trap me rather shrewdly by using his daughter as a sacrificial goat. I applaud the man. Perhaps even respect him. But if it is remorse you are looking for, you shall not have it from me. Whatever I did, I did for the sheer pleasure of it."