Chapter 5: The Value Of Friendship

TRIGGER WARNING

This chapter contains physical violence, abuse, and strong language.

Shiro walked Hana to the exit as he usually did. She seemed a little disappointed when Makoto announced the marketing would be done earlier than expected. He wasn't sure of her reasoning. If the poster was done earlier, the gardening club might stand a chance at recovering some members. Otherwise, they would certainly be abolished by student council.

"Ms. Ishi—"

"Shiro Ishida!"

Keiko cut him off. He was caught off guard by the tone of her voice.

Hana stood stiffly at the sight of Keiko stomping toward them. He instinctively stood between the two girls, though he knew he was her target.

He expected this at some point, but he wasn't prepared for it now. And certainly not in front of the crowd of students who were exiting the building.

Shiro pushed his glasses up and grabbed Keiko by the arm. He half expected her to yell, but she allowed him to guide her to the line of parked cars and out of sight.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" She jerked her arm away.

He let go of her, putting both hands up in surrender. "I was about to ask you the same question."

"No, I mean, what the hell are you doing at this school?!" She threw her hands up. "You haven't done anything noteworthy since you've been here. If you wanted to do nothing, you could have done that anywhere!"

He was too stunned to say anything. After all these years, she had the audacity to ask him that question. He clenched his fists, unable to hold back his anger.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" he regretted the words as soon as he said them.

A group of students walked past the two, snickering as they walked off.

He caught a glimpse of his reflection in a car window. He couldn't recognize his own face.

Shiro unclenched his fists and relaxed his shoulders. He was sure his bus had already come and gone and he was already late for work. He put on his most practiced smile.

"I'm doing fine. Thanks for your concern. It was nice to see you again, but I should be going now." He stood up straight and adjusted his tie. He couldn't look her in the eye. Not if he wanted to keep his composure.

SLAP!

He felt the pain in his cheek before he could turn away. Keiko gripped his collar in her fists and the both of them fell to the ground. His vision was blurry. His hand moved to his face, covering his swollen cheek and searching for the glasses that were no longer on his nose.

"Why did you come here?! Why did you even bother to keep your promise?!" Keiko screamed in the ear-numbing way only she could.