The Wish List

Everybody has a wish or a few in their life, it doesn't matter if they're poor, rich, single, married, homeless or if they have a roof over their head, everybody has at least one wish in their life time. 

My list consists of three simple things:

1. Waking up one day beautiful or pretty at least.

2. To know who my parents were.

3. Having the chance to find true friendships and love.

Nothing dramatic is it? Like becoming a famous superstar overnight, I'm a simple girl who lives a not-so simple life. 

My mum died giving birth to me and apparently my dad committed suicide over it, which I find incredibly hard to believe, what man would do that? I know it would be painful seeing your wife when you look into the eyes of your daughter but that should be a reason to stay strong, guess I'll never know unless I'm in that kind of predicament myself.

It's painful waking up every morning in a home where it feels like I am paid the least amount of attention and then the next stage of my disgusting day is looking in the mirror, which is right in front of me. Some how I feel it was only placed there so that I was punished.

Before I got up, I picked up my parent's picture beside my bed, rubbed my fingers through it as a couple of tear drops splattered on the frame. My heart yearns looking at my mum's beautiful smile and my dad's beautiful eyes, everytime I look at this photo I wonder, how did I turn out like this? Surely, I must be looking somebody else's parents. No, I must stop thinking this way, these are MY lovely parents who I love more than anything, even more than my foster sister Alicia.

"Cammie, are you crying?"

"No, love, I'm fine, go back to sleep, it's early."

"I can't sleep, I've been awake for a while now."

"Should I read you a story?" I wondered.

"Sing to me instead please, I love how you sing."

"Come sit on my lap."

I sang to her as quietly as possible, soon she was back in sleeping beauty land and so I carried her to her bed, for a seven year old she's quite light.

I sat in front of the mirror for a good half an hour, frozen, in shock, taking in the ugliness that is my face, tears calmly swept down my cheeks and then hit my lap like a rain drops creating a puddle.

"Cammie, get your Alicia ready for Saturday shopping please!"

I sighed. "All right Carmen."

Carmen was of course, none of than my foster mother, carer, whatever you want to call her, she did speak to me so politely but she treats me like I'm not even here most of the time and becomes someone for me to be afraid of. 

I bet she doesn't even want me to come shopping with her, but I'll get myself ready to anyway.

Three quarters of an hour later, Alicia and I were waiting by the front door, Carmen had a shocked expression on her face as she came down with Richard and Tony, the boys of the foster family.

"What are you doing down here baby girl? Carmen wondered. I asked you to get Alicia ready, not you and all!"

"I'm sorry, I thought you would want to invite your oldest child out for once."

"Well, I'm sorry but you were clearly mistaken, I'm going to go into boots today, so I'll buy you all the lovely make-up I can find."

"What's the point if I never ever leave this dump unless I'm going to school?!" I ran upstairs and started bawling.