Shopping

Athena's Pov

I yawned again as I quite literally crawled to my bedroom door in my pajamas. As I twisted the knob, my body went limp and I fell on the floor in exhaustion. 

From the little gap, Ares stuck in his head and looked around trying to spot me. Finally his eyes fell on me ungracefully sprawled on the hardwood floor. 

“What're you doing?” He asks, stepping inside the room after giving me a weird look. 

“Chillin.” I yawned again.  

Almost automatically my eyes closed and Ares asked, “Please tell me you're not drunk.” 

I'm not that lucky to get my hands on your wine collection without going through an army of loyal servants.  

I didn't have the energy to say all that. “Haven't slept.” I explained then turned away from him to resume my sleep. 

Because I was half unconscious, I didn't register his movement until his hand was on my back. He scooped me in his arms, taking me by surprise and I looked at him with half closed eyes.  

“Sleep on the bed.”

I didn't argue because walking was actually a very tiring task right now. He gently placed me on the mattress and I instantly relaxed. He then tucked me into the comforter and I heard him turning on the air-conditioning which I had forgotten. 

Not another was spoken and I dozed off before hearing him leave. 

                         —————

I woke up feeling someone gently shake my arm and a voice telling me. “Wake up, Thena.” 

When I opened my eyes, I was shocked to not find grandpa or Tristan. It was Ares. What was weirder was that he was being so gentle. 

“Oh you're up.” He sighed in relief and sat back on my bed. “I've been trying to wake you up for fifteen minutes now.” 

“I must be out bad.” I rubbed my eyes with my palms and tried looking at the clock which I couldn't see due to my blurry morning eyes. “Time?” 

“Three in the afternoon. You've slept eight hours.” 

My eyes widened. “I missed two meals?” 

Since my self starving days ended, I've been paying extra attention to food because I was feeling too weak all of a sudden. 

“That's… a valid concern.” He agreed. “But well according to the staff you had your last meal at four am this morning so I thought it's fine to let you catch up on your sleep.” 

“You've been keeping tabs on me?” I sat up using a couple of pillows as a backrest. 

“Just so I know you weren't passing out because of weakness but because you pulled an all-nighter.” He explained. “May I know the reason?” 

“I didn't have my phone for four days and you know the internet is a never ending web of information or some shit, had to catch up on so much.” I exaggerated. 

“This must be the right time to say kids these days.”  

I huffed and asked. “Why are you here though? Is grandpa trying to get rid of his responsibility because his kids have gotten a little civil with me?” 

He looks at me with a pointed look and says, “We’re much more than civil. You're just not in the mood to accept.” 

“To be honest, I'll take this anyday in place of the treatment I was given when I first came here. So don't worry, I’m not trying to mess this up.” I told him genuinely. “I'm sure Zephyr will get his brains back soon and I'll be home. Then you and Hades won't have to pretend and suffer anymore because of him.”