Prologue

‧˚₊•┈┈┈┈୨୧┈┈┈┈•‧₊˚⊹

"Some people say it's the people you put your trust in who hurt you the most"

"But I didn't even need to put my trust in them"

˚┈┈┈┈୨୧┈┈┈┈˚

Bzzzt! Bzzzt!

"What time is it?" I mumbled as a woke up to a notification. I reached out for my phone as a rubbed my eyes.My phone's bright screen light up my entire face, blinding me. It's 12 am, who would need me at this time? Looking through my text an unread one from an unknown number popped up.

"Dear Omar Taj-Akmar, We would like to inform you that you have been chosen to come to the annual London Book Fair. We would enjoy you display your book "Voices of the Underground" at our fair. Due to complications we will not be able to provide hotels for you. We hope you will consider attending. Here is the address. 555 skibidi street, sigma city. Further information is provided in the link below."

An invitation? To THE London Book Fair? Is this a dream? I pinched myself to make sure it wasn't but all I felt was the pain of pinched skin. Why would I be invited to such a high end event? One that was across the ocean to say the least. This seemed like a total scam but all the information was... true. They sent me real tickets to the UK, real information and contacts to set up a booth and set up at the fair. But why? Why me? I have a horrible feeling about this... 

"WARNING 10 PEOPLE REPORTED MISS--" I closed my phone ignoring the notifications that followed after the invitation. Setting this exciting--and suspicious-- news I went downstairs to my kitchen. Nothing more comforting than a glass of ice cold water and a muffin. The soft muffin was so good, the warm chocolate chips melting in my mouth and the muffin itself being chewy and delightful.

I had always loved baking, my grandmother was a wonderful baker and always made these amazing chocolate muffins. I would snack on them while she told stories about my parents. Her stories inspired me to make my book. Although it doesn't make as much money as my business they're fun to make. 

I went to the sink to clean my glass when CRASH the sound of glass took me out of my trance. I grabbed a knife, not the safest option, and ran towards the sound of the crash. 

Glass shards scattered the floor like confetti, my window was completely smashed. There was a hammer on the floor along with foot prints left by dirt. I try to follow the small trail of dirt before it comes to a stop. There's a letter on the floor addressed to me, "To Omar Taj Akmar". Why would someone break into my house to deliver a letter? I have a mail box... ugh. 

I pick up the letter and open it with my knife

I pick up the letter and open it with my knife. Placing the knife down, I start to read the top of the letter. 

"Dearest Mr. Akmar, we kindly invite you to be apart of our project here at #####. You and nineteen other participants will participate in an experiment of ours. Just a fun game you know? And..."

 An experiment? I have an odd feeling about this letter. It's so vague and... mysterious. Before I can continue reading this new invitation I feel something cold... and hard hit the back of my head BAM! ...what? I fall forward into the floor and feel someone picking me up before I'm knocked out cold.