4 - Hansel and Gretel Go to the Haunted House

"Listen. My friend and I are looking for someone." I took out my phone, searched the web for news about Becca's disappearance, and quickly found one. The article came with a yearbook photo of the missing 17-year-old.

It was unfair how some people were born photogenic. While I resembled a vengeful ghost about to kill my hairstylist in all of my yearbook photos, Becca Hanlon looked perfect in hers. Not a single strand of her silky, golden-brown locks was out of place, her sparkling emerald-green eyes were highlighted with a sweep of caramel shadow and a swipe of dark mascara, and no chocolate or broccoli was stuck to her perfect teeth.

Some people were just born lucky.

"Her name's Becca." I showed the photo to Vickie and Eddie. If they had been here the night of John's accident, and if John's accident was related to Becca Hanlon's disappearance, then they might know something that could help me with my investigation. "Have you seen her?"

Vickie and Eddie gasped, horror darkening their round blue eyes.

"The Boogeyman . . ." Vickie's voice trembled with fear.

I furrowed my brow. "The Boogeyman?"

I had been cursed with the ability to see the otherworldly all my life, but never once had I ever met the Boogeyman. At a certain point, I was convinced he didn't exist; though I might be wrong.

"The Boogeyman hurt her . . ." Eddie murmured, his legs shaking.

The sound of trees rustling filled the woods. A chill shot down my spine as the wind blew stronger around the once-dry land. I swallowed the sudden tightness in my throat. "What Boogeyman? What happened?"

Vickie gulped. "He came to our house a few nights ago."

"And he hurt that lady." Eddie pointed at the photo on my phone screen. "And Mona too, we think."

"Oh, poor Mona!"

As Vickie started to sob, the sound of wings flapping directed my gaze to the sky. A flock of birds flew together in circles above us, almost as if they were afraid of something. Wait a second. Could it be . . .

I stepped closer to the kids. "It's okay, the Boogeyman can't hurt you any—"

"You don't know that!" Vickie squeezed her eyes shut.

A strong gust of wind whipped my ponytail across my face. The air turned icy cold, and the crows began to caw. The kids were unintentionally responsible for the disturbances. I needed to calm them down before they hurt someone, or worse, got me killed.

"Uh, Doc?" John glanced around him, confused. "What's going on?"

I held up a finger to silence John, fought the wind, and stepped closer to the kids. "Hey, hey. Do you want to know a secret?"

Vickie flicked her eyes to me. "What secret?"

"I have a superpower," I lied. "I can make the Boogeyman go away."

The wind slowed.

"Really?" Eddie asked, eyes glittering with hope.

"Really." Not really. "If you tell me what happened, I'll make sure the Boogeyman can never hurt you or anyone ever again."

The two kids exchanged looks.

"Pinky swear?" Vickie held out her pinky finger.

I hooked mine with hers. "Pinky swear."

***

When the twins had offered to take John and me through a shortcut to their house, I'd thought, sure. The sooner I could help John find out who he was and his connection to Becca, the sooner I could sleep well at night. Little did I know, the shortcut wasn't meant for living, breathing humans.