Chapter 2

Waking up at camp is probably the thing I hate most about my summers. Instead of waking up to a nice sunrise or the soft chirping of birds, you wake up to the sound of a loud horn piercing your ears, rumbling the foggy windows and old wooden doors of your cabin. 

As the horn goes off, making me throw myself out of bed with a huff, I gather my clothes and head to the communal bathrooms shared by the rest of the girls here. As I walk in, I watch other girls slowly putting on makeup, climbing into showers, prepared to walk out just as beautiful as they looked yesterday. 

I watch the beautiful girl Liam was interested in yesterday put on mascara and lip gloss in the cutest pair of shorts I've ever seen. Talking to her friends, she laughs lightly, gathering her things and walking out. God, I wish I could be like her. 

After I finish getting ready, pulling on my camp clothes, I go to breakfast, picking out a questionable looking muffin and soggy oatmeal. I sit alone at a table, looking around to see everyone laughing with their friends, trading foods to try to get the best pieces of fruit. Sighing, I shovel a spoonful of oatmeal into my mouth, wincing at the taste. This is the worst oatmeal I've eaten. Ever. You would think after coming here all these years I would learn, but no, I still haven't. 

Usually, I would be sitting with my mom, but obviously she's not here. She told me to make friends, but that's not going to be easy for me. I don't like talking to people. It's not that I'm too shy to. It's just that most of these girls only care about their appearance. It's always about their hair, or nails, or skin, or clothes. It's never about the lake, or the sunsets & sunrises, or campfires. Honestly, I don't know why Liam would want to be surrounded by these girls, other than the fact that they are really, really pretty. 

As I eat my gross oatmeal in silence, a boy, around my age, sits next to me. 

"Hey," he says, placing his tray next to mine. 

"Hi," I respond, looking at him. He's tall, with green eyes and light brown hair that flares out near his forehead. Freckles dot his nose, and his muscular arms accidentally brush mine, making me blush. "I see you didn't get the oatmeal. Good choice."

"Yeah, not sure that looks like something worth eating," he smiles, flashing me a mouthful of white teeth. 

"It's not," I laugh. "Is it your first year here? I haven't seen you around before."

"Yeah," he replies. "I thought I'd try something new. I didn't really want to sit at home all summer again like last summer, so here I am. This place is pretty cool though."

"It is."

"So, I'm guessing you haven't either, based on you sitting alone?" He asks. 

"Uh, no. I've been coming here every year since like, forever. Usually my mom comes too, but she, um, couldn't make it this year, so I'm here alone." 

"Oh," he says. 

"But, um, I can show you the ropes and all the stuff around here. There's a lot," I say, smiling. 

"I'd like that," he smiles back. I look across the cafeteria, and lock eyes with Liam. I immediately look away, but realize he'd been staring at me. Me. Why would he be staring at me?

"What's your name?" the guy next to me asks, knocking me out of my wondering. 

"Luna," I say. 

"I'm Jack," he responds, putting out his hand in front of me.

I place my hand in his, shaking lightly, before I say, "See you around," and put my tray away, throwing away my uneaten bowl of the oatmeal.