Chapter 2: Age 17

[Y/N]'s POV, June 1, 2013 

I was awoken by the home phone ringing that morning. I groggily sat up on my bed and painfully stood up. Yawning, I glanced at the home phone sitting on my nightstand and I picked it up with my mind. It's been easier to control my "gift" from my mother. I answered the phone with a tired, "Hello?"

"H-Hi, [Y/N}..." I heard a familiar sniffle. Wasn't that Connie? Haven't talked to her, Lyra, or Toby for a year now! I've been busy with school. I'm considered a "smart kid" in school. I wonder what the poor woman wants? Maybe she wants Lyra and Toby to come over to get away from their dad... I pondered, almost not hearing what she said next.

"W-Would you mind doing me a favor, sweetie?" Her voice sounded hoarse and strained. What had just happened? I started to feel worry settle in my gut. That and the McChicken I had last night for dinner. (If you're a vegetarian, let's just say you ate some badly prepared tofu.) I knew something was wrong with it...

"Of course, Connie! What is it?" Connie was so much like my mom, in so many ways. Yet, she had so many differences, being her own person. But her motherly kindness... I felt like Toby and Lyra were lucky that they still had their mom.

"W-Would you mind coming out h-here f-for... Lyra's funeral...?" She sniffed. She had so much trouble saying that. I felt my eyes start to mist up from the pain of losing a friend. I may have been in a new state for the past 9 years, but I still kept in contact with them... But how did Lyra die? What happened? Why didn't they tell me sooner? Don't be so selfish, [Y/N], Connie's suffering the death of her daughter, and Toby's suffering the death of his sister. 

"O-Of course! I-I'm on my way right now! I promise!" I stammered. So many emotions whirled through my head. Okay, I may not be the CLOSEST with them. I have my best friend here, Perri, my boyfriend, Spence, and almost all of my friends here. I admit, I'm fairly popular too. But Lyra is-was now, I guess, my friend! I want to be there! I NEED to be there! After hanging up with Connie, I was an emotional wreck. That was an understatement, I was crying my eyes out. I completely broke down. I felt like such an asshole! I slowly made myself walk to the bathroom and started to brush my hair. It was a rat's nest.

At the same time as my hands were busy, I used my gift to write my father a note. He was currently working over time at his work. He's a welder, so he does bring in good money. So we can afford a lot. I've gotta say, life's been good to me. Not so good to Toby and his family. I begrudgingly thought. They've suffered so much. All I've lost is my mom. They've lost someone who's been in their lives for so long.

The note I left my father said;

"Dear Dad,

I'm gone away because Lyra has somehow died back in Colorado. I've no idea how, but I'll find out. I've got my Cellphone on me if you need to call me. I'll be gone for a few days, so try not to attempt to cook a dinner and burn the house down. Haha. I love you!

Sincerely,

[Y/N]."

After the letter, I called Perri. She's always the first to know everything about me. The only thing she doesn't know about is my gift. It's easy to hide it, even in public if I use it, because others are so dimwitted their attention doesn't catch it. Even if it does, they shrug it off like the wind had done it. Humanity is officially screwed.

Perri didn't answer her phone, so I left a voicemail. "Hi Perri! It's me, [Y/N], I'm calling to let you know that I'm going to Colorado for a few days. One of my friends back there has...died.... So, if you need me, just call! Love ya P!" I tried ending it on a cheerful note, but I brutally failed. My voice cracked, giving away my sorrow.

Then, I called Spence. He wasn't so sympathetic as Perri was. He wasn't sympathetic at all! To be honest, I don't really KNOW why I agreed to going out with him. He's nice and all, but our personalities just don't click. He answered the phone, though. 

"Oh hi, [Y/N]! I was meaning to call you...." He trailed off, "But you say what you want to first!" For some reason, I felt like I should prepare for a bomb to be dropped.

"Well, my friend just died, so I'm going to her funeral." I stated. I heard him sigh, in guilt. What was he up to?

"Well... [Y/N], I haven't been loyal to you... It was me and Jessie. It was a moment of weakness and-" I interrupted him with a sigh. Excuses are like assholes. Everyone has one.

"Y'know, I haven't felt that spark I've felt with you lately. I'm sorry, Spence, but I have to let you go." I hung up on him before he could reply.

Time to go to Colorado...

~~~~~

A/N: Hi guys! It's me, Ashes, and I want to share with you some bits and pieces of information. [Y/N] lives near the Utah-Colorado border, in Utah. Oh, and here's some birth certificate information:

Name: [Insert Your Name Here]
Birthdate: March 16, 1996
Mother: Paisley [Last Name]
Father: [Your Father's Name] ...For those of you who sadly don't have a father, you can name him Markus and he'll have your last name. Is that okay?

~ℱяøм Åṧℌℯṧ Tø Aṧнeṧ