Prologue

"That would be ten gold coins," the stable boy scribbled a name on his worn notepad and looked up. "Your horse will be well-fed and taken care of for the next two weeks."

The man dressed in black nodded, drawing a leather pouch from his belt and fishing out ten gold coins. "I expect you to stick to your word, boy," he said, patting his horse's mane.

"Thank you, kind sir." The boy, a foot shorter than the man, grinned up at him and hastily snatched the coins from his hands. "And that's a promise."

Choi Soobin cast a final glance at his companion before walking away, entrusting his loyal mule to the hands of a young stable boy who seemed too inexperienced for the task.

The kingdom of Stormholt was abuzz with activity.

People carrying barrels, presumably filled with alcohol, rushed past Soobin, nearly causing him to stumble.

"Watch out, lad!" an old woman yelled. "You could have ruined my flowers!" He bowed and quickly moved away from the flower stall before the woman could scold him further.

There appeared to be a festival today, one that Soobin was unaware of and uninterested in. However, to blend in, he needed a change of attire, as his all-black leather outfit drew unwanted attention.

"Welcome!" A cheerful girl approached him with a beaming smile. "Welcome to Lia's Boutique! How may I assist you?"

"Clothes," Soobin replied, his voice dull and almost bored.

"Of course! We have suits made of the finest silk crafted by Stormholt's best-"

"Regular clothes," he interrupted, his voice resonating like thunder. "Make it quick."

Lia's face fell, her excitement replaced by gloom. She grabbed a few shirts and pants and handed them to him.

He examined the stack and raised an eyebrow. "How much for all?"

"Twenty coins," Lia said, scowling. "Take it or leave it."

"I'll take it," Soobin said, and he sashayed out.

Peeking from behind an alley wall where he had changed into his new clothes, Soobin observed the grand festival unfolding before his eyes. People sang and danced, throwing flowers at one another. Happiness and excitement filled the air, and Soobin loathed it.

"The prince is here!" "The heir! Prince of Stormholt!" "Your Majesty!" Jubilant shouts filled the market street as people cheered for their prince. Soobin climbed a nearby pole, trying to catch a glimpse of the prince. Over the sea of dancing heads, he craned his neck and squinted.

That's when he saw him. Pale skin, black hair- not very long but smooth as silk. Pink plump lips beneath a high-bridged nose. His cheekbones adorned with sparkles, a dusty pink hue.

"Your Highness, the greatest warrior, the heir to the throne of Stormholt, Choi Yeonjun!"

Everyone cheered as Yeonjun waved, holding the reins of his horse with his free hand. "My people!" he shouted, earning more cheers in return.

Soobin watched him interact with the crowd, the smile never leaving his lips, his hands busy tossing coins in all directions. Soobin smirked at the prince and his godly deeds.

"It will be a pleasure to see his pretty face contort," he jumped from the pole and turned, "when I'll stab his heart." and walked away, whistling merrily.

_________________________________________________________

~amikim & augustshade~