𝟭𝟱. 𝗔 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝗴𝗲𝘁𝗮𝘄𝗮𝘆.

Perspective of Aelyssa. 

Time has passed more quickly than anticipated; seven moons have already gone by since our move to Pentos, and I still haven't fully grown accustomed. The cultural differences are stark: customs, attire, and cuisine are all unlike what I was used to. Yet, beyond these disparities, my mind remains preoccupied with my friends and with Sissel.

Upon arrival, we spent just a few days in Braavos, exploring its tourist attractions. Now we reside in a grand mansion my father secured, complete with servants. Here, my father and stepmother, being members of the royal family of Westeros and dragon riders, constantly attract the attention of important people seeking favors or recognition.

A piece of good news is that I've been exchanging letters with my loved ones. Although my father is unaware, Laena Velaryon assists me in writing and reading them when responses arrive. This makes me feel close to them despite the distance. Receiving the first letters from King's Landing filled me with emotion, though thankfully my father didn't notice my reaction, as it would have sparked his wrath for going against his wishes.

My resentment towards my father has lessened partly due to the support and comfort from Laena. She understands the significance of Sissel and my friends in my life. Though I tried to remain distant and indifferent, it's impossible with Laena; she's an exceptional woman whom I have grown to deeply care for, though I still can't openly accept her as a mother without feeling like I would betray Sissel.

Furthermore, I've been learning a great deal. My father has hired tutors to teach me literature, mathematics, history, arts, and geography. Both he and my stepmother have taken it upon themselves to teach me Valyrian, expanding my vocabulary, which fills me with joy.

It's noteworthy that the term "bastard" isn't used here; it seems people aren't concerned with titles or lineage but rather wealth and power. My father handles a substantial amount of money, much like Laena.

Letters from Aemond, penned by Helaena, keep me informed about events in King's Landing. I'm glad to hear about family news, though sometimes I feel a twinge of jealousy thinking about the children they could play with, something that's denied to me here due to my father's caution.

Sissel has also learned to read and write thanks to Ser Noran, and they both send me affectionate letters that nearly bring tears to my eyes. Although I had the chance to reunite with my mother, it feels like centuries since I last saw Ser Noran, though he surely remains as tall and strong as ever.

In another writing, Sissel expressed her immense gratitude towards Laena for facilitating our contact and was very happy when I wrote to her that my stepmother turned out to be a kind woman and not the witch she feared. I'm sure they would get along well if they met.

...

The library in this house, with its rustic wooden walls and indoor plants decorating every corner, is one of the things I enjoy the most. The shelves filled with all kinds of books and the walnut furniture give a luxurious and peaceful view. Studying in one of the armchairs is one of my greatest daily pleasures.

"Issa byka zaldrīzes (My little dragon)," I hear my father's voice approaching from the open door in my direction.

"Skorkydoso iksos aōha tubis, kepa (How is your day going, father?)," I respond, concentrating on each word I utter. Almost every day he speaks to me in Valyrian to reinforce my studies, hoping not to get lost in his responses.

"Ry ruaka ēva nyke rūsīr ao... Skoriot iksos Laena? (All boring until I'm with you... Where is Laena?)," my father asks.

I squint my eyes, frustrated at not fully understanding. I only catch that he mentioned Laena, but not the previous context. The ancient language is truly complicated. My father notices my gesture and lets out a mocking laugh before speaking to me in the common tongue to cheer me up, accompanied by a stroke on my silver hair.