The Struggles is Real.

Emily's heart was racing as she rushed along the hallway, her eyes fixed upon the elevator doors at the end that were closing. She quickened the pace, and her little feet barely touched the plush carpet.

As the doors started to close, she exclaimed breathlessly, "Please halt!"

To her surprise, the doors hesitated and then started to reopen. She skidded to a halt inches in front of them, her eyes widening as she saw the reason. Alex Steele, that towering figure of a man she had silently been admiring from afar, had reached out his hand to stop the doors. His hand was huge, with long fingers that looked like they could wrap around her entire midsection without effort.

"Thank you," she mumbled, her voice barely a bove a whisper as she stepped into the elevator. She felt herself blush at the closer look she got of his hand. It was big and firm with veins showing beneath his tanned skin, and it made her feel incredibly small and delicate by comparison.

"No problem," Alex responded, his deep voice deep in the elevator. He gave her a terse, bland smile, his piercing blue eyes holding hers for a moment before stepping back to give her personal space.

Her heart raced even faster as she fidgeted with the strap of her canvas tote bag, her fingers shaking a bit. 

She glanced up at him, eyeing him from head to toe. Alex Steele was a big man—6'7"—though his tailored suit did an admirable job of containing his brawny physique. His dark brown hair was flecked with gray at the temples, neat, and set to perfection. He sported a chiseled jawbone that showed a hint of bristle, adding to the raw, age-boned look.

"Um, hello, Mr. Steele," she stuttered softly. She felt her blush deepen as her green eyes darted away from his intense gaze.

"Hello," he replied, his voice warm but controlled. "You're Emily, right? My neighbor?"

"Y-yes," she managed to say, nodding quickly. "I live in the apartment next to yours."

"I thought I recognized you," he said, his lips curving into an almost-smile.

"How are you finding the building? It's been some time since I've lived here."

"It's nice," she said, her voice barely shaking. "It's quiet and, um, cozy."

"Good to hear," Alex said, actually sounding interested. His gaze fell from hers, his blue eyes softening a bit.

"If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. I'm just next door, after all."

"Thank you, Mr. Steele," she whispered. At the words, Emily felt her face flooded with warmth, a mixture of shyness and some other indefinable emotion.

The elevator continued to drop, and she couldn't help but sneak a few glances at him. He seemed overwhelming—his confidence and aura of authority radiated across that tiny compartment. She simply could not help noticing how well his suit seemed to fit his broad shoulders and powerful build.

Everything about him seemed larger than life—from stature to commanding demeanor.

The doors opened on the ground floor, and Alex motioned for her to precede him.

"After you," he said, his tone light yet insistent.

"Thanks," she muttered and moved out into the lobby. She could feel his presence right behind her, his shadow almost eclipsing her small form.

As they walked to the exit of the building, it was impossible for Emily to rid her head of the picture of his hand, reaching out to stop the elevator doors. It was so big, so strong, like able to cover her whole abdomen with just one hand. The thought made her blush even more and she quickly tried to push it away.