How are you so big and tall?

Before he took her home, Alex offered to take her to the mall to buy groceries, knowing her fridge was still as bare as could be. His presence beside her was commanding; his tall, broad frame made him seem like a bodyguard as they walked through the aisles. He almost filled the space when he stopped to look at items, reading labels and muttering, "No, not this one," before pushing the shopping cart to find something better.

She couldn't help feeling a mix of admiration and amusement. "How are you so big and tall?" she asked, gazing up at him.

"Genetics," Alex said with a grin. "The men in my family, from my father's side, always have this size."

Moving up the aisles, he asked, "What do you love to cook?"

"I can cook whatever. I love cooking," she said, brightening up.

"Young and knows how to cook? I'll be damned," he said with a smirk.

"My nana taught me. She's always saying it's cheaper to cook for yourself than to buy takeout," Emily explained, a smile crossing her lips fondly.

"Your nana is right," Alex agreed. "Smart woman."

"She's the best. She always said cooking is a survival skill we all need to have," Emily said proudly.

Alex bent at the waist, his voice dropping to a husky whisper. "And hot, too. I love a woman who can take care of herself with basic skills."

Emily laughed, "Basic skills? I burnt a lot of pans when Nana was teaching me!"

Alex chuckled, his deep voice causing shivers to creep down her spine. The next thing she knew, he had pulled her into a kiss, his lips covering hers with a possessive intensity. He didn't care they were standing in the middle of a grocery store full of people; all he knew was the connection between them. Emily melted into the kiss, her arms coming around his neck as she matched his passion.

When they finally broke apart, both were a little breathless. "You know, people are watching," Emily said, her tone holding some embarrassment, some thrill.

"Let them watch," Alex said, his eyes dark, his desire evident. "I want everyone to know you're mine."

They continued shopping, Alex making sure that they would get everything they needed. He dominated with his character in taking charge and picking the best produces, ensuring that they got a variety of healthy options to choose from. The feelings that came up for Emily were mixed with security and excitement, knowing that Alex was taking care of her in every way possible.

They headed toward checkout, and Alex insisted on paying, waving away protests from Emily with a stern look that allowed no debate. "I said I was taking care of you," he said firmly.

The cashier, a young woman, couldn't help staring at Alex; her wide eyes were riveted by his imposing presence. But Alex had eyes only for Emily, and he hardly flinched.

After piling all the groceries into the car, they drove back to Emily's apartment. Alex carried the bags in with no problem; he seemed not to tire easily. Emily felt overwhelmed with emotions of thankfulness and love for him.

They put away the groceries together, Emily marveling at how domestic and intimate this moment felt. Alex was a powerful, dominating force in her life, and yet he showed a tender, caring side that swelled her heart.

They had barely finished when Alex pulled her close, his hands resting on her hips. "I love seeing you happy and taken care of," he murmured, his lips brushing against her ear.

"I love that you care so much," she replied, leaning into his touch.

"Of course I care," he said, his voice dropping to a husky whisper. "You're mine, Emily. And I take care of what's mine."