CHAPTER VIII (FAREWELL TO THE HOSPITAL AND... KASIA)

November, 1989 

Today Tomasz had something to celebrate. Firstly, he turned 29 and from tomorrow he will carry the weight of the third decade on his shoulders. Secondly, he found out a week ago that he had passed his PES, meaning that he is now officially a psychotherapist and can start another specialisation, this time in sexology. Thirdly, he was parting with his hitherto life to start a completely new one. He still had to finally wrap up his private affairs, i.e. remove himself relatively painlessly from Katarzyna's life, and say goodbye to Prot forever. With the latter, there should be no problem. Tomasz simply had to turn up at the hospital today, go through the motions of his duty and the matter was settled.

That day he went to work full of energy. He was happy that he could afford to set up his own clinic and that he no longer had to grovel to Prot. He would have a much harder time with Kasia, with whom he was definitely going to part ways. For a moment, Tomasz even considered taking her with him to his clinic, where she could work as a receptionist for much more money. But in the end he decided that the girl would not be able to separate her private and professional affairs.

***

Tomasz's last day on duty passed peacefully. He didn't want to witness other people's dramas at the end, which might discourage him from his own clinic and encourage him to rescue strangers in a psychiatric hospital. He could see from Prot that such work destroys a person for good in the long run. He didn't want that and he didn't want that kind of life. Besides, after all, he had already planned to do something good for society, i.e. to take care of Aunt Irena's foundation.

As he walked down the corridor, he noticed a familiar face standing by the reception desk, which was impossible to mistake for anyone else. Long, wavy hair the colour of flaming rust, topped off with a green T-shirt and tight jeans accentuating the woman's curves. And the obligatory heeled shoes. This woman made a truly electrifying impression and wonderfully brightened up the grey admission room.

- Joanna? What are you doing here? Are you all right? – he asked the woman.

- Tomasz! Hello dear! - Joanna hugged him and kissed his cheek. - Yes, everything's fine, I just came to get some paperwork because I need it for... by the way, do you have some free time so we could go out for a bite to eat? I have a lot going on in my life, which also explains my recent absence from you and my lack of calls. I would explain everything to you calmly.

- Sure, no problem, we can go out for lunch - said Tomasz.

- Kasia - he turned to the girl who was listening silently to the conversation from behind the reception window - could you tell Prot when he gets to work that I've gone out for lunch and will be back around 3 p.m.?

- I will, Doctor - she replied, clearly emphasising the 'Doctor' in a rude tone.

- Thank you. What time do you finish work today? I would also like to talk to you.

- I think it's about time - said the girl in such a tone that even Joanna gave her a meaningful look. - I finish at 7 p.m.

- Excellent, me too, so let's meet in front of the exit door- and he said goodbye to her with a nod.

- Come on, I'll take you to an eatery where they serve delicious pork knuckle - he said to Joanna.

- Do I look like someone who eats pork knuckle? - she laughed. - I'd love to go to a restaurant because it's been a long time since I've been to one, although I'll admit that I dream more of exploring Warsaw's eateries. Just please don't make me eat this crap! - Joanna took Tomasz's arm and they left together under the watchful eye of the receptionist.