Compliments

Athena's Pov

I blew air through my mouth to calm myself. I don't know why I was feeling nervous. There was no valid reason for it. 

I twisted the handle to the door of the living room where everyone was waiting for me but I rested to push it open all the way. What was I even thinking? 

Was I nervous because this was my first time dressing up for the Konstantinos brothers to judge? Or was I bothered by the fact they might not even notice me? Or did I expect compliments? Or maybe I was scared of their disapproval? 

What bullshit? Why are these disturbing thoughts going through my head? I look magnificent! I shouldn't care what they think. 

I finally extended the door and stepped inside. All five pairs of eyes fell on me. Today my look was a surprise even for grandpa and Tristan because they hadn't helped me get ready since Zephyr had arranged a professional stylist for me. She had done my makeup, hair and made sure my dress was perfectly tapped to me so it didn't move. 

“See I told you she would’ve bought red!” Tristan exclaimed like he's won a bet. 

Grandpa chuckled at his excitement and walked towards me. “My princess looks so beautiful today.” 

I was still mad at him for his take on some of the decisions concerning me. But he was my family, the only person who had stepped up for me when I wasn't even born. 

No matter how many times we fight, I always return back to him. We always forgive each other. So I take his compliment with a smile on my face. 

“See it has a corset like back.” I said turning around to show him.  

“That looks nice.” 

Zephyr was now on my side as I finished twirling around to show off my dress. I stood still waiting for him to get this over with, I neither wanted his compliments nor disapprovals.

“You look absolutely gorgeous, Athena.” He gives me a small smile. 

“Thank you.” I awkwardly replied. 

I thought his part here was done and I moved to my best friend but Zephyr held my hand to stop me. My heart beat picked up and I looked at him wide eyed, fearing I had offended him in some way. 

“This is for you.” He forwarded a small box to me. 

“Thank you so much but-” I tried refusing but he cut me off. 

“It's your grandma’s. It belongs to you.” 

I couldn't believe that the same person who said my relations with my grandmother had ended the moment I was abandoned by him, was now offering her belonging to me. 

I didn't refuse again because I didn't want to. I’ve always had a respect for my grandma as grandpa told me so much about how kind she was. Now that I have a chance to own something of hers, I won't let it go. 

I took the box after thanking him for it. Inside was a small gold pendant with a green gemstone in the middle. It looked so delicate and sweet. 

“It's really pretty. Thank you.” 

Just then Hades came to my side with a look of contemplation on his face. “The dress looks so flattering on you but… the neckline… why does it look like it’ll accidently slide off…” 

“That’s exactly what Ares was concerned about.” I chuckled. “Don’t worry it's all taped up and very well stuck to my chest. It won't fall off.” 

He nods still skeptical of it. “But if you start feeling it's not staying in place then tell me, we’ll get a change of clothes. Okay?” 

“Okay.”