Chapter 21

** Zak's POV **

A sound of beeping was all I heard as I was brought out of my comfortable state. Jessica... I jumped at the thought of her. My eyes opened and I was instantly blinded. I was in a hospital room– in a bed– as the sun peeked through the gap in the shade. It was shining directly in my eyes.

Something was in my nose. I moved up to touch it to realize it was oxygen. What the fuck.

Panic arose in my chest. "J-Jessica!" I exclaimed as I moved to get out of the bed, but was kept back by a tugging on my arm. A fucking IV drip. What the fuck was that for? Jessica was the one that needed help, not me.

"Hey! Woah! Woah! Woah!" A voice said, grabbing my arm to hold me where I was. "Dude... Relax. You're both okay."

My sight focused on the person to my left, who I'd just woken up from a deep sleep in the chair next to the window. "Zak, relax," I was told. It was Aaron.

"Where the fuck is she!? And what happened," I questioned as I looked around. No one else was there. Not Jessica. Not Benny. No one. Just Aaron.

"Sit down and relax and I'll tell you. Just be calm and then I'll let them know you're awake and you can go see her," he informed as he stood over me. There was a concerned look on his face.

I sat back in the bed and stared back at him, waiting for him to tell me what happened. I wanted to stare into his soul, but couldn't. "Okay, I'm calm. Where's Benny?" I was visibly annoyed.

Aaron rolled his eyes. "He's fine, too. He's with Jessica. You got a pretty nasty burn when you went into the house... The basement had a fire and everything was filled with smoke," Aaron informed.

I shook my head as I looked down at my arm. Sure enough, there was a bandage wrapped around my arm; but, I didn't care about myself. "What about Jess? I remember getting out of there... Something... Someone led me out," I mumbled as I looked down at my lap. Whoever it was saved both of our lives.

"When you got out, you were extremely dehydrated and you had tons of smoke in your lungs. They had to assist you in breathing and get you back to a healthy level of oxygen. You also fucked up your ankle. Dave said you jumped out of the helicopter," Aaron informed, but rolled his eyes at me.

"But Jess... I'll start with saying she will be fine. But she's bruised up, has some nasty cuts, needed staples on her head, and has a pretty bad concussion. They have kept her in a medically induced coma for the past 12 hours. They're going to lift the sedatives around hour 15," he said before I interrupted.

"12 hours!?! It's been 12 hours? I was out that long?" I questioned as I looked back at him. "There is no way!"

Aaron let out a sigh as he blinked slowly. "Yeah, man... But you got both of you out just in time. The house is a complete loss. Only a few things were able to be pulled from it," he added. "Seriously, though... You're lucky. I'm thankful. Benny is thankful, too."

"Can I see them? And can I get this damn IV out." I asked as I played with it. It was annoying as shit and I didn't like the thought of it in my arm. "And this stupid oxygen. I think I can breathe on my own."

Aaron soon went to get the nurses and doctor. After what took forever, they eventually cleared me to go down the hall and to Jess' room. I had to see her. I couldn't believe what had happened to her. Benny met me outside of the room with a sad smile on his face.

It could not have been easy on him. He could have easily lost both of us. Guilt struck me as that thought entered my head. Thankfully he still had both parents.

"Hey," he greeted me as he pulled me into a hug. "You've got a limp." He pulled back and motioned down to my leg as he frowned.

"I sprained it when I jumped out of the helicopter, apparently," I said with a small chuckle. "Are you doing okay though?"