Chapter 10

James, approximately 11 months before the disappearance

"Bro, try not to look so sus," Austin whispered. "Chill."

James wiped his forehead with the back of his hand, trying to still the tremble. How had he let himself get talked into this? "Chill," he said. "In this heat?" Austin grabbed his forearm and rolled his eyes. His fingers felt warm. Thank God he was already flushed. Almost midnight, and the heavy air still covered the town like a thick wet blanket. Cicadas buzzed in the background while rolling clouds hid the thin sliver of moon.

Under the yellow light of the street lamp, Austin looked less scruffy, like he'd cleaned up some. He wore loose pants and an old Guns and Roses t-shirt that was tight in a good way.

"Seriously, everything's copacetic."

Copacetic earned a side eye, but James thought it meant fine. He took a deep breath and nodded. Austin released his arm, and James led the way to the Heritage Hall. Last time, he'd come during the day to take the tour. Of course, the footage sucked. He'd planned on trying again, but Austin talked him out of it. Ghosts don't haunt during the day, and no one would let a couple of teenage boys run an overnight ghost hunt in a historic home. That left only one option.

"Let's scope the place out," James suggested as they approached.

"Bet. Gotta find a way in."

The two-story white Antebellum house came into view. Six Roman columns held the roof above the front entrance, but James noticed a second entrance he hadn't seen before. It jutted out of the left side of the building, hidden behind several tall shrubs and a huge red oak. "Right there," James said. "That's our entrance point."

Austin grinned. "Perfect." They approached from the side, ducking behind a black Honda Civic parked in the street. "Let's check it out for a minute, in case there's a guard."

"Good idea." He'd only known Austin for three weeks, but they'd been messaging nonstop since they met. Austin listened. When was the last time he'd felt heard like that? Maybe never. In some ways, James felt close to him, like he'd known him his whole life. But in others? He wasn't even sure where Austin lived.

"Could you imagine living like that?" Austin asked.

James thought of his own dingy house, his father passed out drunk in the sagging green recliner while old sitcoms blared on the square TV, the place stinking of cigarettes and stale beer. "No," he said softly.

"Well, imagine it. Just got to hit it big on YouTube right?"

James laughed. "Yeah, simple."

A street light in front of the house flickered, and Austin grabbed his hand, pulling James toward the house. "I don't see anyone. Here's our chance."

They darted across the left side of the property, ducking behind the oak tree. Austin laughed and dropped James's hand, his deep brown eyes sparkling with pure joy as the street lamp flickered back on. James couldn't help but laugh with him. He could do this. He could do anything.

"You think we can get up there?" James pointed at the overhang above the side entrance.

"Yeah, I'll give you a boost."

James took a deep breath, putting his full weight onto his right foot as he stepped into Austin's hands. Austin pushed as James grabbed the edge of the roof, hauling himself onto the scratchy asphalt shingles. He leaned over. "Your turn."

Austin used the side column to balance himself as he climbed onto a thin black railing. He gripped James's hand, using his other hand to push himself up onto the roof. After a moment, Austin swung his leg over and rolled onto his feet, brushing himself off.