Chapter 2

When I first informed my dad about my desire to join the company, he outright rejected my proposal. His reaction was disheartening but not entirely surprising. Like many traditional parents, my father held the belief that girls should confine themselves to household responsibilities. In his view, a woman's success was defined by her ability to manage domestic duties and keep the family happy and healthy. To him, the business world was not a place for women.

Despite his perspective, I firmly believe that women are capable of so much more than just housework. If given the opportunity, we can achieve remarkable things in any field, including business. I knew that not everyone shared his outdated views, but my father’s stance was a significant obstacle.

I made every effort to convince him otherwise. I presented my case from every angle, emphasizing my skills, dedication, and the passion I had for the business. However, no matter how hard I tried or how many arguments I presented, he remained resolute in his refusal. I pleaded with him repeatedly, but my requests were met with stubborn resistance.

Yet, I refused to give up. I believe that giving up should never be an option when one is determined to achieve something. I was not ready to accept his decision passively, especially when I still held onto hope and ambition.

In my quest to change his mind, I turned to my younger brother, Anay, for support. I hoped that with his help, I might be able to persuade our father to reconsider. Anay’s involvement was my last resort, and I hoped it would be the key to opening the door to my dreams..

We pushed Anay into Dad’s room to speak on my behalf and then shut the door behind him. As we waited outside, we began to listen in on their conversation, hoping that Anay’s persuasion would help change Dad’s mind and allow me to pursue my ambitions.

As Anay began to argue with my father, I felt a pang in my heart when Dad said, "Anay, have you gone nuts? You’re naive. What will you do if she manages the business? Do you want to become a beggar and roam the roads?" Hearing these words was a harsh blow. It was painful to think that my father, who once showed me so much love as a child, could now harbor such mistrust and negativity. Did he believe I would ruin everything and leave him destitute? Tears began to well up in my eyes as I struggled to hold back my emotions.

While Anay and Dad continued their heated exchange, Mom kept a watchful eye on me. She gently wiped the tears from my cheeks and patted my back, offering an assuring look that said everything would be alright. Her comfort was a small but precious balm to my aching heart.

Anay persisted in his attempts to persuade Dad, saying, "What's your problem, Dad? She is your daughter and my sister. We’re all family. It doesn’t make any difference who manages the business." Hearing Anay speak with such conviction and support made me tear up again, but this time it was with a sense of relief and gratitude.

Dad’s response, however, was equally painful. "Anay, are you out of your mind? You have everything you could want. Don’t you want a penny?" He tried to sway Anay by flaunting his wealth, and each word he spoke felt like a dagger to my heart.

Anay’s retort was filled with sincerity. "No, Dad, I don’t want anything apart from my sister’s happiness." His words made me feel as though I had been blessed with a true boon in the form of my brother. His support was unwavering, and it was a source of immense strength for me.

I couldn’t help but wonder why my father seemed to harbor such animosity towards me. He never treated me as his child anymore. If it weren’t for Anay and Mom, I would have left this place long ago. My father had abandoned the loving parent he once was. After my mother’s death, his love turned into something bitter. He often cursed me, blaming me for her death, claiming that she sacrificed herself to save me from an accident. Although those words cut deeply, I didn’t cry because I knew my mother would have wanted me to find happiness despite the pain. She would have wanted me to stand up for myself and pursue my dreams.