THE COW'S OUT OF THE BAG

"So, I'm kinda like a sleeper cell spy," Jane said, dropping her bags as she and Hughie returned from the store.

"Whatever you fancy calling yourself, Karma," Mother's Milk chuckled, drawing a snort of amusement from Billy.

Jane sighed deeply, a mix of exasperation and resignation.

The Boys had taken a particular delight in teasing her about her supe name.

She couldn't really blame them—it was a bit cheesy.

But she was trying her best to get used to it.

Jane glanced at her phone.

No new updates from Ashley.

She'd been wrestling with Vought's labyrinthine bureaucracy to get a copy of her contract, only to be told that the contract explicitly forbade her from keeping a copy.

Company policy.

Vought deemed it a security risk, though Jane doubted its legality.

Vought's laws were like play-dough, moulded to fit their whims.

Billy's cynicism seemed to be spot-on regarding that.

"You do know they're gonna stick a chip in you," Billy said casually as Jane unpacked the groceries.

He grabbed the bag of chips she'd bought and waved it in front of her.

"Oh, hell no," Jane shot back, incredulous.

"Oh, hell yes. I'd bet my last quid it's buried in that bloody Bible of a contract you signed," Billy said, his tone matter-of-fact.

"They're gonna make me wear a ridiculous supe suit with my tits hanging out and shove a tracking chip in my neck? Don't they want me to have any autonomy?" Jane huffed, exasperated.

"That's the Vought package for you," Frenchie said, unpacking the rest of the groceries with a resigned shrug.

"I don't get how so many supes are okay with this," Jane mused aloud, her confusion evident. "Why don't they just form their own league where they save people on their own terms?"

"Because their own gig isn't handing out movie deals and millions of dollars," Mother's Milk explained, his voice steady and wise.

Jane nodded, of course, fame and fortune.

'"Now that you're getting chipped, you can't come 'round here anymore." Billy said simply.

Jane felt a pang of unease as if she were being unceremoniously kicked out.

But she knew Billy was right—it was a practical, logical matter, not an emotional one.

"Yeah, I get it," she said. "So, how do I keep in touch with you guys?"

"You've got our numbers," Hughie said. "We'll text and set up low-key meetups in the park occasionally."

Jane nodded, feeling the weight of being on her own again.

Though her time with the gang had been brief, she'd appreciated their company.

She chuckled, not wanting to be vulnerable, "Well, I won't miss this place too much. Vought better cough up a decent paycheck for a nice apartment."

"They'll probably give you a cosy little spot in the Tower," Hughie said. "That's what they did for Annie—Starlight."

Jane groaned, the realization sinking in.

Vought's control stretched into every corner of a super's life.

There was a pause before Jane asked. "How long do you think this will take?"