INTERLUDE: I

A/N: I dedicate the use of this ost to @ 46885822 on Quotev. I remember your music request from 5 years ago, for the 'Veil of Night' soundtrack from 'Professor Layton and the Curious Village' in your fan art book on Quotev. I finally found a place to use it HOORAY! I'm not sure if you're online anymore but I hope you see this one day. Again, thank you for your beautiful fanart and for your sweet comments <3

--------------------------------------------------

EAST VILLTON, 13 YEARS AGO . . .

Small fingers squeezed her new beret close to her chest, as a young girl trembled in her bed.

She was supposed to be asleep. So in the darkness of her room, scantily lit with moonbeams, she bit down hard on her bottom lip and swallowed the cries that kept rising in her throat. Little gasps and hiccups escaped through her lips but they were quiet enough to be contained behind the door. So that no one else could hear her.

"Cy, how–" she muttered to herself, sniffling. "How could you? Y- You said– You said it was your–"

She couldn't take it anymore. But she couldn't wake her family up. The girl buried her face deep within the pillow, sealing her mouth and nose, then wailed to her heart's content. The muscles in her body ached as she curled into herself, digging her nails into her arms until they formed painful crescents. It could not compare to the ache that settled deep in her heart.

The door creaked open.

"Y/N?"

She froze. Her lungs spasmed but she dared not breathe.

"Are you crying?"

She was facing the wall, her back to the door. "No," she replied shakily. "I'm sleeping."

A tired sigh, followed by the lights switching on. The girl scrunched her eyes shut. She heard the door close softly and footsteps pad towards her. Soon, she found herself using all her might to resist as the other person tried to gently pull away the quilt. It was her armour, didn't he understand?

After a slew of failed attempts, he stopped, and the abruptness caused the girl to fall back on her pillow with a victorious giggle.

One side of the mattress dipped where the young boy sat. He was silent for a while, as if gathering his thoughts, then sighed.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked, at length.

"No." She coughed. "...Yes." Throwing over the covers, she shot up and glared at the teenage boy. "You're an idiot, Cy! How could you– Why did you do it?"

"I told you already."

"NO! It doesn't make sense." The burning of tears returned. "It was your dream! You– You worked so hard for it." Her shoulders jerked. "You stayed up night after night studying for your exams, just to get into that one university. Then you finally got in. We had that huge party! Everyone was happy for you. And– and now..." She hugged the beret tight. "...Now, you're telling me... that you're giving that up?"

Cyril slumped. Elbows resting on his knees, he blew out a breath through his nose. It was a long moment before he returned his attention to her, mustering a wry smie. "Welp, at least I won't be thousands of miles away from you anymore! I thought you'd be happy–"

She smacked him with her beret. It held a surprising amount of force that knocked him onto the floor.

"OW! What was that for?"