Birdcage

When Yamato woke up, he could only see a bright light above him. He felt so weak, only being able to blink his watering eyes.

His fingers, though still, had feeling in them. He could feel something soft below him, and if he knew anything about himself, he knew that they were flowers just by how his fingers stung.

His lungs gave a hard exhale as he tried to reclaim his breath. He knew that if he could breathe normally, he could get up and get himself something to soothe his allergy.

Inhale. Coarse, hard, weak.

Exhale. Coarse, hard, weak.

Inhale. Hard, weak.

Exhale. Hard, weak.

Inhale. Weak.

Exhale. Weak.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Finally, he could just barely get himself up. Looking around, he found himself on a pile of flowers. Scrambling off, he was lucky to find that the pile before him was the only flowers in the room. He noticed his gloves and jacket were gone, leaving him in only his shirt and pants. The top button of his shirt was ripped off, revealing even more of his body. Great.

"What the hell..." He he mumbled.

He couldn't hear himself.

Panicked, he felt his ear only to find it gone.

'My damn hearing aid!' He cursed, looking around as if he could find it. Where did it go? Did that Sakura take it? While he could do without hearing, he really didn't want to take chances in a place like this.

Again, he tried looking. The only door he could find was a  locked trap door, and if not for his weakened state he would have broke it down. The room he was in was large; tables and counters were full of glass vials and liquids, a few machines too. One that stuck out was a small heating machine, as there had to be at least four or five of them laying around. Cork boards with lots of paper stuck to them lined the walls. Upon closer inspection, most the paper was old theories about immortality and perfection with a few newer notes.

After what felt like an eternity of searching, his senses aching, his gaze returned to the pile of flowers.

Maybe he would just go without hearing.

But he would be safer with hearing. He could probably get out faster, too.

Biting the bullet, he started to shuffle the flowers around just enough that the hearing aid would fall right out.

When it didn't, he cursed. Not being able to hear sucked the life out of him!

So did these flowers. He quickly pulled away and looked for a faucet.

There was luckily one, though it was coated in some sort of strange chemical. He didn't care, though. Hopefully washing his hands would at least alleviate some of the irritation.

As he washed his hands, he suddenly felt something grab his waist. He tried pulling away, noticing a large branch-like claw wrapping around him covered in flowers.

He was spun around. Someone who must of been Sakura, though now looked older and more Esper-y tried talking to him.

"I can't hear!" He hoped he said it in a coherent way. "My hearing aid is gone, where is it?!"

Sakura paused herself, then turned to the bed of flowers. She stooped over it, wading through the flowers until she pulled out his hearing aid, covered in flower debris.