Untitled Part 1

ADRADOS, FARRAH JEWEL D.

When you think about your "self", what image comes to mind? Describe, as best you can, the entity that Socrates refers to as your "soul": that core identity that distinguishes you from every other living creature. Do you think this identity is immortal? Why or why not?

- The moment I think about myself, a book comes to my mind. I can make a person happy, entertain them, give them information and many more. But after these, there will always be a page for my agony and sadness. This part is located at the second page of the book together with its dedication. It is the part where people give least attention and more often skipped at. A lot of them may like me because of my stories but only some of them bother to read and pay attention on what really matters the most. Is it possible for a person to be cheerful and at the same time be a negative thinker? Socrates says that every living creature has its own identity which he called a "soul". Our soul makes us unique and identifies us from the others. It is one of the things that make us stand out. Others may say that this identity is immortal, and I agree with it. As Socrates have stated, our soul will be our identity when it enters another world after ours. When we die, our soul remains and is passed in every generation. It'll be living a new life but our personalities are left in our soul won't change anymore.

Socrates posted the following challenge to his fellow citizens: "... are you not ashamed of heaping up the greatest amount of money and honour and reputation, and caring so little about wisdom and truth and the greatest improvement of the soul?" Do you think that this challenge is still relevant today? Explain your reasoning.

- No, it is not relevant anymore. All that matters to every person in our time is money and fame. Wisdom and truth are not considered anymore for people choose the lies which are the money from unwanted business than believing in the truth and giving justice to others. They only care about the wealth and less attention on what really matters the most for our soul to be improved.

Socrates believes that the most important truths already exist within our minds --- we need only develop our powers of reflective analysis to discover them. Do you agree with this view? What might be examples of "truths" that exist within every person's mind?

- Yes, I agree. One good example is that every person needs help from others. "No man is an island", they say. It is true that no matter how successful you are you'll still need other people's hand to do/perform some tasks or for you to be happy. In spite of the said motto, people still find it hard in believing on it. They still continue life being an independent rational being. We may know this saying but we still have our minds closed in accepting the fact that we still need others for us to live happily and become more successful in life.

According to Socrates, no one knowingly does evil. Immoral conduct is always the result of ignorance, and if people are educated regarding the "right" way to act, they will necessarily do it. Do you agree with this view? Have you ever known the "right" thing to do but suffered from a "failure of will" and ended up doing the wrong thing? If so, how would Socrates analyse your experience?

- Yes, I agree. If only everyone was educated with regards to what Socrates has said, crimes and wrong doings won't exist in our generation. My parents taught me about the "right way" to act but there's still some situation wherein their teachings are set aside or disregarded. This confusion often results to my wrong doings. Maybe Socrates will call me ignorant because of my experiences. Especially when it comes in saying what's on my mind. Socrates once said that ignorance is same as not telling what's inside you or what you want to say. At my age, I should be able to know what is right from wrong. But I still find it hard to discipline myself on the do's and don'ts of life or to differentiate right from wrong.