34. Photoshoot

LIVELY POV

"Isn't Wallace's summer holiday in Lake Oswego supposed to be all about relaxation and rejuvenation, with work set aside?" I asked Aaron as we were driven down a road in England.

I was aware of the engagement photo shoot that Kathleen Wallace said was mandatory for the wedding announcements and invitations, but what I didn't expect was a knock on my door at 5 a.m., especially when I hadn't had proper sleep after the doctor came for my last dose and declared me completely healed. To top off my ignorance of what was coming with the knocking, I was then told that a plane was waiting to take us to England for a one-day photo shoot early in the morning and that we had to rush back by Friday for the ceremony on Saturday.

I still can't wrap my head around the extravagance of the idea—like why can't the photoshoot just happen at the massive lake house that has all the supplies we need? But for Aaron, it was normal. He convinced me as we were taken to the plane hangar, even though we'd spent more hours on planes this week than any normal person would. Then again, what do I know about the luxurious life I've just been introduced to?

"Are you asking how this year's summer is unstable?" Aaron's accusing eyes met mine over his phone screen showing emails.

"Yes." I shrugged, freeing myself from his guilt trip.

"Lively, you have a huge part in it," he indicted, making me grimace at him, unable to keep a straight face.

"Me? Your exhibition had everyone travel to France on holiday. Then there's Kyle's research too. I have no hand in it," I emphasized, turning red but unable to take my eyes off the gorgeous, stereotypically masculine man whose stoic facade always crumbled around me.

The car came to a stop, and even after hours of mostly sitting, I would rather continue our witty banter. Even in silence, being in Aaron's presence felt warranted.

"Fair point, but still, I stand by my opinion. You have a huge part in it, Babe. France wasn't all about me, nor was Milan completely about Kyle. Then there's San Francisco... largely about you," he winked, putting on tinted sunglasses that fitted him elegantly, as it was just early evening.

The door on my side opened halfway through Aaron's response. It wasn't Keenan, who had driven us, but he had come along for his job, of course.

"What does all that have to do with me? You and your cousins are always working, even on break, like right now," I defended, gesturing at his phone, authorizing my point. He adjusts his sunglasses on the crook of his nose with a reminiscent smile, taking pleasure in my argument. "Dane can't even put down his laptop, and Mason is always painting evils. Don't tell him I said that. But it's all the girls who are having fun."

Aaron broke into chuckles, amused by my pouting, and I struggled between being irritated and delighting in the sound of his charming laughter.

"What San Francisco do I not know about?" Mom's voice goaded, drawing our attention to my open side and revealing it wasn't Keenan who had been standing there.
I had been rambling without realizing my words were falling on scolding ears.

"Uhmm?" My voice came out awkwardly sweet, hoping to coax a softer response. I knew this trick usually worked on Dad, but now I was trying my luck with a woman who didn't tolerate my nonsense. As expected, her brow arched, unimpressed, and she stood her ground, waiting for my answer.

"Livy?"

No one had informed me that Mom and Sadie were joining us. It wasn't until Aaron, Bubble, and I walked onto the plane and saw them that I was surprised. Oddly, Kathleen Wallace was seated in the same area as my mother too.