XIX- tea with a friend

A/N:

Hey guys! Before we start with the new chapter, just a quick word about my lack of update lately (gosh I am so sorry I feel like there's a lot of those in this story). I'm sorry for not updating more often, I just found a summer job and it's VERY time consuming. I'm still trying to find a balance between work, writing and dancing :,) BUT don't worry I'm gonna find it <3 The first chapter of the new story is also gonna be out soon, so stay tunned for that!

"...Jasper?" A familiar voice called out from afar, paired with a firm hand on Jasper's shoulder. "Jasper?..."

Jasper's eyes fluttered open and he shifted awake, his face still cradled in his arms from the night before. He had planned on taking a short nap before going out to see (Y/n), but his accumulated fatigue had probably caught up to him and he must have fallen asleep.

He frowned, stretching out his arms as he scanned the stacks of papers on his desk.

That's not what he had planned. He was supposed to finish his work early the day before and go out to watch over (Y/n) as she slept peacefully. And supposedly he should have felt better after a full night of sleep, even if it had been spent at his desk in very uncomfortable circumstances. After all, Jasper had been dedicating most if not all of his time to working and watching over his Darling. But Jasper felt none of the rest expected after a good night of sleep.

No, in fact he felt even worse than before.

The nauseating tug in his chest that begged to be close to (Y/n) had only gotten that much worse due to him not seeing her the night before. His headache had gone from dull pain to a searing warmth that spread all throughout his skull. And the longing in his heart felt like said organ had just been torn out of his chest by (Y/n) herself.

The longer Jasper went without seeing (Y/n), the worse his condition got, which made it harder and harder for him not to sacrifice his few hours of sleep for some more cherished time with his Darling.

"...Are you even listening?" Elijah's voice finally registered through Jasper's foggy brain, sounding slightly irritated.

Jasper snapped out of his daze and turned his head to the side, pain slicing through his skull at the simple motion. He had mastered poker faces a long time ago though and knew to put on a smile in front of his father.

Jasper cleared his throat and took a long sip of his glass of water before answering. "Sorry father, you were saying?"

Elijah heaved an exasperated sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. Jasper could tell his father wasn't happy with him but couldn't really pinpoint why. After all he had been working as diligently as ever, in spite of his worsening condition, so surely this couldn't have anything to do with the quality of his work.

No, this probably had something to do with Jasper's apparent fatigue.

"Forget about it, we'll have a talk about this later." Elijah dismissed with a wave of his hand, "Penelope is here to see you and I'd like for you to take a break from work. You obviously need one. So take a shower, put on a shirt and meet her in the gardens. Some sunlight will be good for you."