47

I hurriedly got dressed, my hands shaking as I put on my top and trousers. I needed to get out of my room, away from Yash. I took a deep breath and stepped out, heading downstairs. As I descended the stairs, I heard laughter coming from the living room. My heart sank, knowing who it would be.

When I reached the bottom, I saw my parents sitting on the couch, smiling. In front of them were Yash and Mr. Singhania, Yash's father. The sight made my stomach churn.

"Ah, there she is!" my dad said warmly when he saw me. "Come join us, dear."

I forced a smile and walked over, feeling Yash's eyes on me the entire time. "Hello, Mr. Singhania," I greeted, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Hello, dear," Mr. Singhania replied with a wide smile. "We were just talking about you."

"Yes," my mom chimed in. "Mr. Singhania and Yash are here to fix a date for the wedding. Isn't that wonderful?"

I glanced at Yash, who gave me a triumphant look. "That's... great," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

Mr. Singhania leaned forward, his eyes gleaming with excitement. "We were thinking of a date next month. It would give us enough time to prepare and make sure everything is perfect."

"Next month?" I repeated, trying to hide my dismay. "Isn't that a bit soon?"

"Nonsense," my dad said with a chuckle. "We've been waiting for this day for a long time. The sooner, the better."

Dad looked at me his eyes scary, daring me to say anything against.

Yash nodded, his eyes never leaving mine. "I agree. I can't wait to make you my wife."

I forced another smile, feeling trapped. "Of course. Whatever makes everyone happy."

My dad beamed at me, completely oblivious to my inner turmoil. "That's the spirit! We'll start planning right away. There's so much to do!"

I looked at Yash and said, "Join me in the kitchen." Without hesitation, he followed. As soon as we entered, I asked all the house help to leave us alone, and they quickly obliged, sensing the tension in the air.

"What is this?" I demanded, turning to Yash as soon as we were alone. "I told you we would get married when I was done with my studies. Why are you pushing for this now?"

Yash's expression hardened. "I cannot risk it. Now that you know everything, why would I risk waiting?"

Before I could respond, I heard a familiar voice. Kartik, my younger brother, had just returned from school. He placed his bag on the table and moved towards Mr. Singhania to greet him.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Singhania," Kartik said politely, unaware of the storm brewing in the kitchen.

Yash glanced at Kartik, then turned back to me, his eyes cold. "Think about your brother," he said quietly but menacingly. "What he would have to face if you say no to this marriage. Do you really want to put him in danger?"

My heart raced with fear and anger. "You wouldn't dare," I whispered, but even as I said it, I knew Yash was capable of anything.

"Try me," Yash replied, a cruel smile playing on his lips. "You don't have a choice, my love. For Kartik's sake, you will marry me. Otherwise, who knows what might happen?"

Kartik, blissfully ignorant of the sinister conversation, walked towards the kitchen. "Hey,di. Hey, jiju," he greeted us with a smile.

"Hey, Kartik," I managed to reply, my voice strained. I forced a smile, trying to hide the fear that gripped me.

Yash smiled at Kartik, a facade of warmth masking his true intentions. "How was school today, Kartik?"

"It was good," Kartik replied, looking between us curiously. "What's going on? You guys seem tense."

"Nothing to worry about," Yash said smoothly. "Just some wedding preparations. Exciting times ahead."

Kartik beamed, oblivious to the underlying threat. "Cool! Can't wait for the wedding."

I felt a lump in my throat. "Yes, exciting times," I echoed, my voice barely a whisper.

Yash leaned in closer, his voice low and threatening. "Remember what I said. For Kartik's sake, do the right thing."

Tears welled up in my eyes, but I blinked them away, determined not to show weakness. I nodded slightly, knowing that for now, I had to play along. But in my heart, I vowed to find a way to protect Kartik and expose Yash's true nature.