Part Fifteen

Niall was running inside the kitchen, helping the chef to finish every dish they had planned with Karherine for this fancy diner. Zayn's father is a strict man who is expecting perfection. He wasn't coming to the mansion that often those days, mostly on weekends. Niall could witness that everyone's attitude had shifted nervously, and it was also growing on him.

He had barely seen Zayn during the week, although it was actually the first time he wanted to spend some more time with him. The few times he had the chance to be in the same room as him, to clean his room, to drop some clean clothes, he was rehearsing his speech. Zayn had a bunch of great ideas in the first document Niall had seen, and the one they had worked on together was definitely one of the most interesting.
He could see that Zayn was stressed about this diner,  not only because he was about to pitch his project but because the relationship he has with his father is complicated and unhealthy. But he was ready. His presentation was straight to the point, clear and stimulating. He knew that the challenge of tonight was for Zayn to gain his father's attention without bursting into rage.

The staff was serving the main course when Zayn's father, Yaser, started to move the polite conversation of this family diner to a more business topic oriented one. Zayn took it as a sign to dive into his topic.

« — Father, I wanted to discuss with you the next project that I will be developing for the company which-

— Now is not the appropriate moment for it, Zayn. Tonight is about family. As always, you seem to miss the most important point here. » Yaser was clenching his fork in his hand, while Zayn had lowered his head slightly.

Niall could immediately feel the tension in the room switching. Even Zayn's sisters and their mother looked uncomfortable.

« — Anyway, this family will soon welcome a new member since I will be marrying soon someone else. » Yaser had said with a calm but strong tone while the rest of his children were stunned in astonishment. Zayn was the first to react.

« — What ? What are you talking about ? » Zayn's eyes widened as he stared at his father who had just dropped a bomb. His project was far away in his mind.
His sisters froze on the spot, too afraid to speak up.

« — What ? You don't know what a marriage is ? » Yaser said harshly to Zayn. Niall could understand where his temper was coming from and felt actually glad for Zayn that his father wasn't spending so much time at the mansion.

« — Of course I know what a marriage is ! All I hope is that you also know that it requires to know the person you are supposed to marry, because as far as I know you have never seen anyone since the two of you got divorced. » Zayn pointed at his parents with his fingers.

« — And again, son, you are wrong. It's not because I'm not the topic of gossip like you that I'm not looking for a new partner. I am being careful and discreet. One of the many things you still have to learn apparently. »

Zayn bit his tongue inside his month as the anger started to build up in him. His father was once again using every opportunity to make him feel inferior and weak. Anyway, he chose to ignore his comments as if it wasn't touching him.

« — And you never thought that your children deserved to be informed before you take such a commitment to someone ?
— Oh, I am giving you the heads up right now. The announcement should arrive next week. »

Zayn scoffed a little and then eyed his mother, she was looking down at her plate. He could see her eyebrows crunched and her lips pressed in a thin line. She knew. She knew and gave no warning to them.

« — When is this wedding supposed to happen ?
— In six months. »

Niall was standing next to the buffet, helping with the dishes and could only see Zayn's back. His glance was jumping from him to Katherine, the rest of the staff and the family seated at the table. The air was thick and everyone in the room was walking on eggs. Except for Zayn.